• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

non toyota carb question

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Hey All,
I've got a carb question that is actually about a Holley, not a toyota carb. But I figure the concepts are the same so hopefully you all know the answer. This carb is on my Galaxie, and it must be varnished in the jets, or whatever from storage & not running enough since I didn't drive it much last summer. It will start but runs like crap. I have a gallon can of carb dip. I was wondering if I can literally just pull the carb & dump it in there & let it sit to clean it, or if that is bad for the carb & it really needs to be disassembled & cleaned properly (something I don't know how to do)?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Abe

justin4045

Rising Sun Member
Not sure how close your carb is to a Motorcraft 2 barrel,(I think they are somewhat similar) but on mine the top came off with 5 or 6 screws and I had access the the bowl and the jets. Was super easy to clean then. If it's running maybe just getting some clean fuel through it will do the trick or even some seafoam.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
If there's a plastic float, it would be best not to soak that part in carb dip. I would do as @justin4045 said and pull the lid and look around inside. You can get a carb kit and do much disassembly (simple) without totally tearing it down. Just go slowly, pay attention - you'll be fine. Don't bother removing stuff like butterflies and things that are unlikely to affect performance.