Non-lethal pepper bell gun

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Ran across this today. I’ve always thought a paintball gun loaded with pepper balls would make for a good bear hazing device. But I’m not sure how I feel about this one being essentially just like a standard semi auto. No big deal for my planned use.

For it’s intended use as a self defense weapon it poses some questions. How is a LEO to identify it from a distance as non-lethal especially if you opt for black over a high visibility color. Not that that even matters much as you can buy a real gun in most any color you want. How do you identify it over the real deal if you carry both?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
easiest way for an LEO to determine that it is not dangerous is to keep it holstered and not drawing it on someone.

PhillyB77

Sort of on, or off topic. I was hiking up Mt Rosalie with my GSD and broke tree line and right there maybe 50 yards to the front, two bull moose. They both turned and looked at me, I grabbed zeus and backed away slowly (imagine cartoon characters). I thought about the 9mm I had on my hip, best course of action if those two charged prob put it to my head and press the trigger. Might as well have had a straw and spitwad.

I realize this can be a very polarizing topic and I don't like to self promote but I instruct / teach firearms and also certify CHP. If you have any questions hit me up offline, might not have the best answer but will have an answer. Final thoughts: "Many are equipped, few are capable." I can't tell you how many "been around guns my entire life / shoot a ton / was in the military" types that show up and it's not exactly special. Hence, we all need training (I just took a course last month).

Good luck (and Damon's advice was solid).

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Moose vs 9mm? You don't want to know what your odds were. Saving yourself the pain of getting gored would be a good option.

PhillyB77

Hence...my course of action.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Ran across this today. I’ve always thought a paintball gun loaded with pepper balls would make for a good bear hazing device. But I’m not sure how I feel about this one being essentially just like a standard semi auto. No big deal for my planned use.

For it’s intended use as a self defense weapon it poses some questions. How is a LEO to identify it from a distance as non-lethal especially if you opt for black over a high visibility color. Not that that even matters much as you can buy a real gun in most any color you want. How do you identify it over the real deal if you carry both?

FWIW.......

1) What Damon said.
2) There is no such thing as "non-lethal" from a fired projectile and chemical munition.....at some point someone/something with have a lethal reaction. Proper term is "less then lethal".
3) Chemical munitions require a physical response. Generally speaking, a percentage of of people/beasts will mentally/physically overcome the physical response. In other words, there is no guarantee of compliance.

PhillyB77

dont forget. the kung fu grip

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Yah this thread has definitely drifted from where I was going with my original post. To be clear there is no way I’d carry that as a defense against a wild animal. Only an effort to change its behavior on my property. I’ve used rubber buck shot in the past. In the wild I carry a .41Mag

My question is whether it’s smart to manufacture or carry a “non” or “less than” lethal weapon that for all practical purposes looks the same as an actual firearm? Both from the perspective as a perceived threat when holding it or from the instinctual use of one against a threat. Take the Kim Potter case as an example.

Back to my personal interest. We’ve had problem bears in the past that hang around looking for trash or an easy meal. I wouldn’t hesitate to pepper one to discourage it from returning. Recently we have a MTN Lion visiting homes. My chances of actually seeing it are slim let alone hitting it with a pepper ball.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
We see cougars often.

If you want a pepper ball gun why not buy a real one that’ll be accurate and hit hard with high muzzle velocity instead of that toy? Lots of cougars this summer including one incident where the cat snatched the neighbors 80lb dog while she watched. Drug it off after it was dead with her watching still. We use rubber buck shot in a pump 12ga with bird shot then buck then slugs behind it FWIW. The rubber buck shot is kinda hard to come by now and the stuff I’ve been able to find hits surprisingly weak. DOW guy was handing it out earlier this season.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
The rubber buck I have as given to me by DOW.

An actual paintball gun has always been my preferred pepper ball delivery method but never high on my purchase list. Found the above item by accident. Cost is less but agree looks less effective also for my planned use.

I will say there is a unique feeling standing in the driveway at 2am in your boxers after you've just emptied the 2nd barrel of rubber buck into a 400lb bear's ass at 10 yards.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I've got that paintball pistol just as a regular paintball pistol not less-lethal. From what I understand these items are for markets where you can't actually own a real gun. Like Chicago or some hellhole like that where you fear for your safety on a daily basis and the best you can hope for is a paintball pistol.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
We see cougars often.

If you want a pepper ball gun why not buy a real one that’ll be accurate and hit hard with high muzzle velocity instead of that toy? Lots of cougars this summer including one incident where the cat snatched the neighbors 80lb dog while she watched. Drug it off after it was dead with her watching still. We use rubber buck shot in a pump 12ga with bird shot then buck then slugs behind it FWIW. The rubber buck shot is kinda hard to come by now and the stuff I’ve been able to find hits surprisingly weak. DOW guy was handing it out earlier this season.
Boulder gunsport (I think that’s the name, can’t recall perfectly offhand) carries the police issue rubber buckshot. 5 round boxes. You have to ask for them, but they usually keep them in stock. For a small, local store, they seem to be well stocked usually. Fun to browse.