• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New Year's Day Run

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Looking to be dry from now through New Years so I am looking West of I-25 :cool:

Trying to get creative on a lesser-known area still nearby and find something that can at least require low range. I have a list of ideas, but maybe you have a less-known place. PM me any suggestions.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am moving towards a maybe. Will try to think of something interesting too

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
Looking to be dry from now through New Years so I am looking West of I-25 :cool:

Trying to get creative on a lesser-known area still nearby and find something that can at least require low range. I have a list of ideas, but maybe you have a less-known place. PM me any suggestions.
Illinois Gulch may be too far away for ya, and not really "lesser known", but it's fairly moderate trail with some stuff to play on if folks want to...

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Illinois Gulch may be too far away for ya, and not really "lesser known", but it's fairly moderate trail with some stuff to play on if folks want to...
I think it should be a contender. I have never driven it though. I was thinking about the other "gulches" in the same area. Even with little snow, they mostly face North. Was considering Lamartine/Saxon, which I know. also the trails West of Ft Collins, but have not looked into status just yet.
Should have time to hit the maps tonight!
Keep em coming!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I think it should be a contender. I have never driven it though. I was thinking about the other "gulches" in the same area. Even with little snow, they mostly face North. Was considering Lamartine/Saxon, which I know. also the trails West of Ft Collins, but have not looked into status just yet.
Should have time to hit the maps tonight!
Keep em coming!
I had thought about Gulches and/or other stuff in the area as well. A little further, but China Wall would be fun if it is still open.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I have also never driven China Wall.
I'm all down to be a tail gunner for the run too. what matters is that we get out and enjoy some fresh air!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I have also never driven China Wall.
I'm all down to be a tail gunner for the run too. what matters is that we get out and enjoy some fresh air!
While I don't see it listed on the MVUM it appears China Wall closes January 1st each year to June 15th.

PhillyB77

Any ideas? I'd be down to show up late and drink coffee, tell lies, leave early for a 3 hour lunch and disappear in the early afternoon while everyone else had to go stand in a box like thing next to each other. Wait, that was my military career. Anyways...no full commit but def interested.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Looks like could be a little snow Fri night to Sat am (2-4" in much of the foothills), which could make cruising some mild trails a good time.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
With the forecast, I will study the maps for West of Fort Collins and South around the Gulches. Tonight I hope! Year end work has been slammed!
If the plains get 4-6 and it settles down in the AM we could get some sweet drift bashing out by Pawnee.

Either way I am thinking we find a meeting spot that has us leaving our houses around a comfortable 8AM, maybe a bit earlier or later depending on where you live.

We already have our engine cooked hors d'oeuvres ready to go! (went to Costco last night)

From https://www.facebook.com/NWSBoulder

6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:

OHUZJ100

I don't have comms or chains.

If that is not an issue I would like to join🤘

Edit: LOL I forgot I don't have portable air, as I 'spolded mine at BOWAGW. Hopefully that's not issue either😅

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I don't have comms or chains.

If that is not an issue I would like to join🤘

Edit: LOL I forgot I don't have portable air, as I 'spolded mine at BOWAGW. Hopefully that's not issue either😅
folks likely have extra radios. I don't have chains either. Hard recovery points are usually sufficient. Probably not planning to get too wild.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I closed a business deal today that I have been working on all month and we looking forward to map and run planning time. With the firestorm in Superior/Broomfield heavy on my mind, people on this thread currently evacuated and unsure of the fate of their homes, and all of us here knowing more people affected, one friend of a friend has a confirmed house loss, I'm like, "how can I possibly plan a fun NYD run."

I don't know.

For one, it does no one any good if we all stay at home by a TV or social media. One is all I can muster at the moment.

We will think about how we can help people affected. I may pass a hat if we identify a good organization to donate. So now, whiskey poured and to the maps ...

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
I closed a business deal today that I have been working on all month and we looking forward to map and run planning time. With the firestorm in Superior/Broomfield heavy on my mind, people on this thread currently evacuated and unsure of the fate of their homes, and all of us here knowing more people affected, one friend of a friend has a confirmed house loss, I'm like, "how can I possibly plan a fun NYD run."

I don't know.

For one, it does no one any good if we all stay at home by a TV or social media. One is all I can muster at the moment.

We will think about how we can help people affected. I may pass a hat if we identify a good organization to donate. So now, whiskey poured and to the maps ...
Agreed... hope everyone in the club is ok and hope all affected are safe and sound despite the property loss.

If you end up coming down to the gulches I'm in. I live 20 minutes from there. I'm happy to open up the house in Woodland Park for guests too if you want to stop here for lunch or something.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
At long last – a plan (All suggestions still welcomed.):

Meet outside O’Brien’s Café in Sedalia (it will be open, I have asked). 5585 US-85, Sedalia, CO 80135
Fill up at a gas station before Sedalia. There is the Sedalia Conoco but I would not want to stake my whole day on it being open. Top off there.
Depart 9:15. So get there before that to chill.

We will take 67 to West Pine Creek Road (at the famous Sprucewood Inn) and then down W. Pine Creek Rd (40) down to the S. Platte River (97) over to Deckers. At Westcreek we will hop off pavement (yea!) and head toward Phantom Creek, Signal Butte. We’ll play some there and then all go have hot Cocoa with @Jameson. We can then continue back onto Phantom Creek, Signal Butte, but if that sucked we can go over to and back up Rule Ridge or take 24 into Woodland Park and then back up 67. Time and weather permitting we’ll go play some in Illinois Gulch / Rainbow Falls. Or maybe we’ll play there before Phantom Creek if the day is moving right along.

Please be well prepared for cold and snow. Could be 6-12 where we go through. Hopefully!
Goal is fresh air, fun, good people. 4x4 adrenaline and a few challenges a plus! Always happy to exercise my recovery skills.

We’ll use HAM/FRS/GMRS depending what people have. I will bring extra FRS to share.

Last edited:

Jameson

Rising Sun Member

Meet outside O’Brien’s Café in Sedalia (not sure if it will be open, I have asked). 5585 US-85, Sedalia, CO 80135
Fill up at a gas station before Sedalia. There is the Sedalia Conoco but I would not want to stake my whole day on it being open. Top off there.

We will take 67 to West Pine Creek Road (at the famous Sprucewood Inn) and then down W. Pine Creek Rd (40) down to the S. Platte River (97) over to Deckers. At Westcreek we will hop off pavement (yea!) and head toward Phantom Creek, Signal Butte. We’ll play some there and then all go have hot Cocoa with @Jameson. We can then continue back onto Phantom Creek, Signal Butte, but if that sucked we can go over to and back up Rule Ridge or take 24 into Woodland Park and then back up 67. Time and weather permitting we’ll go play some in Illinois Gulch / Rainbow Falls. Or maybe we’ll play there before Phantom Creek if the day is moving right along.

Please be well prepared for cold and snow. Could be 6-12 where we go through. Hopefully!
Goal is fresh air, fun, good people. 4x4 adrenaline and a few challenges a plus! Always happy to exercise my recovery skills.

We’ll use HAM/FRS/GMRS depending what people have. I will bring extra FRS to share.
Heads up... the high on Saturday is 10* here. Dress accordingly!

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
Thanks for the update, Daniel...We're gonna drop out at this point.

From Firestone, we're looking at 5-6 hrs just to and fro and that's more than we want to do for a day trip.

We had a blast at Slaughterhouse yesterday. That'll be our 4x4 fix for now.

Hope everybody has fun and stays safe and warm tomorrow!

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member

Meet outside O’Brien’s Café in Sedalia (it will be open, I have asked). 5585 US-85, Sedalia, CO 80135

We got our tree out by signal butte and I wanted to head back to the area. Should be gorgeous and the snow will make it fun. I am still waiting on final approval from the boss, but hoping to make it.