• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New Year's Day Run

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
No better way to start off 2022 than a New Year's Day Run!

Date: Satuday January 1, 2022
Location: Snow and weather dependent. Years past it has ranged from snow bashing, to more recent Pawnee Grasslands (sometimes brutally cold and windy, othertimes warm and sunny). I hope it snows, but the way it is looking we may be able to get to the high country.
Schedule: Plan on a full day. This will also be your excuse to not drink too much on NYE and get to sleep early!
Trail hours will be logged!

EDIT 12/30/21:
At long last – a plan (All suggestions still welcomed.):

Meet outside O’Brien’s Café in Sedalia (it will be open, I have asked). 5585 US-85, Sedalia, CO 80135
Fill up at a gas station before Sedalia. There is the Sedalia Conoco but I would not want to stake my whole day on it being open. Top off there.
Depart 9:15. So get there before that to chill.

We will take 67 to West Pine Creek Road (at the famous Sprucewood Inn) and then down W. Pine Creek Rd (40) down to the S. Platte River (97) over to Deckers. At Westcreek we will hop off pavement (yea!) and head toward Phantom Creek, Signal Butte. We’ll play some there and then all go have hot Cocoa with @Jameson. We can then continue back onto Phantom Creek, Signal Butte, but if that sucked we can go over to and back up Rule Ridge or take 24 into Woodland Park and then back up 67. Time and weather permitting we’ll go play some in Illinois Gulch / Rainbow Falls. Or maybe we’ll play there before Phantom Creek if the day is moving right along.

Please be well prepared for cold and snow. Could be 6-12 where we go through. Hopefully!
Goal is fresh air, fun, good people. 4x4 adrenaline and a few challenges a plus! Always happy to exercise my recovery skills.

We’ll use HAM/FRS/GMRS depending what people have. I will bring extra FRS to share.

Last edited:

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Dang! I'm out this year. We're hosting family and won't be able to join.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
possibly in??
depends on where.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
We are in

PhillyB77

Where? Can we stop at Whole Foods and buy a $25 salad.

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
We are interested

/wtb more info when it's available

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Great to see some interest. Here's how the destination will be chosen:
Overall: Meet 8-9 AM and get the first 2022 fresh air!
To the East,, exploring the plains/Pawnee is great fun, but not wheeling.
To the West, right now, sadly, we can go almost anywhere that is open and below treeline. Hopefully in a month there is more snow.
It is not intended to be reletless snow-bashing and extractions like the Snow Runs. But some of that would be fun!
It will be family friendly - solo, friends. husbands, wives, BF, GF, kids, dogs.
We want to have a nice long lunch stop, perhaps with a campfire (propane or in a firepit we extinguish).
Maybe we end the run at a pub somewhere for a burger and fires. Its a Saturday. Hmm, an FYTO overnighter this year?
One year we met for breakfast first, and that was great too.

So, I suppose right now its a "save the date" more than a plan. It gives me something to look forward to! (y)

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Dang! I'm out this year. We're hosting family and won't be able to join.
Dude - you are a regular! Rent some extra 4x4's and bring em?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
most likely in.

Lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
Interested depending on location

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
So ... location matters is what you are all saying? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :grinpimp:

RayRay27