New Year's Day Run to Pawnee Buttes

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
New Year's Day Run to Pawnee Buttes

Rising Sun had a New Year's Day Snow Run tradition. A great excuse to not overindulge New Year's Eve, get up when it is still quiet and gulp down fresh air and sunshine.

Weather forecast: New Year's Day Partly sunny, with a high near 43. Breezy.

Now is your chance! A great alternative to up the hill (and where everyone goes) is that entire other half of the state to the east: The Great Plains. Totally different than the mountains with a stark beauty of their own. Old homesteads. Small town America.

Organized by me and Alex Fleming (@Oh_shift)

For the early risers we'll meet at 8:15 at iHop in Brighton - 962 S 4th Ave, Brighton, CO 80601
For those who need some extra sleep, meet around 9AM for a 9:15 departure, fueled up and ready to go.

We will take I-76 a ways till we hop off and go north to Pawnee Buttes. We'll try to take dirt roads as much as possible. Its about 2 1/2 hours to drive out there.
We will take the hike around the Buttes. Its a 1-2 hour walk. Rolling terrain. Wear shoes that could handle patches of snow and ice.
After the hike we will sit around the campfire and have lunch. We can lunch in the parking lot if its not windy (its usually windy out there) and if it is windy I know a spot nearby with some shelter. After lunch we'll go explore some lesser used routes.

Goal is to be back in Denver area by 5 or 6.

Trip is family, kid, dog friendly. No problem for stock vehicles. Ideally everyone has a HAM radio, but if you have CB at least, great. FRS we can manage (bring extras)
Check the weather and plan for adventure!

HAM: 147.420
CB 4

Get the pawnee buttes mvum HERE (Buttes are on the East Half)
and a free download on Avenza Maps

More information at:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/recarea/?recid=32178
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawnee_Buttes

Last edited:

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Yup! Gonna be a great start to 2020!

Dmitry

Lifted
Does anyone have insight into the potential mud situation up in those parts of the state?

Paparoot

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like fun. I haven't been to the buttes in years. Looking forward to it.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I'm interested in coming. Are we going to encounter any challenging terrain or just some dirt roads?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Post up if you are in for breakfast so I know about what size table to get. Otherwise I'll plan to see you around 9AM.

Yup! Gonna be a great start to 2020!
Yup Yup

Does anyone have insight into the potential mud situation up in those parts of the state?
Main roads are all good graded dirt. Side roads can be unmaintained. All part of the fun.

Sounds like fun. I haven't been to the buttes in years. Looking forward to it.
Great.

I'm interested in coming. Are we going to encounter any challenging terrain or just some dirt roads?
I've never found it too challenging. Hopefully we find some snow drifts to play with. Otherwise expect dirt (or mud) and scenery.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm in for both tomorrow. See yeah at breakfast.

Definitely a place on my list to visit but after a 1600 mile road trip this past week, I've been trying to talk myself into going.

You all should swing up to Panorama Point in Nebraska, 13 miles north to say you've been to the highest point in Nebraska.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Definitely a place on my list to visit but after a 1600 mile road trip this past week, I've been trying to talk myself into going.
You all should swing up to Panorama Point in Nebraska, 13 miles north to say you've been to the highest point in Nebraska.

Was totally thinking about that and 3 corners!
If you did 1,600, this will be easy!

Packed and ready to go. I'll check again before we go to sleep tonight and in the AM before we leave. Happy New Year!

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
I want to join, just don't know that I'm up for it. My headlights went out tonight at the Pepsi Center. Don't know how I made it to Evergreen without being pulled over. So if I weren't back by dark I'll be yet again risking a hefty ticket.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I want to join, just don't know that I'm up for it. My headlights went out tonight at the Pepsi Center. Don't know how I made it to Evergreen without being pulled over. So if I weren't back by dark I'll be yet again risking a hefty ticket.

Stay in between us? Fuse? Tape down some flashlights?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Detailed Forecast
New Year's Day
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.