• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New Year's Day 2022 Trip Report

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
By 8:30 AM @twopullupeddie , Anna and I were chowing down on a delicious breakfast at O’Brien’s Café in Sedalia (a new favorite of mine). Soon @vabluefish sat with us a bit. Then @KC Masterpiece , @Shuksan, and Brad & Kristin @Dirt Claude , & Jake @HalfBreed and friend all met up and we made a short in person driver's meeting since it was 7 degrees out and got driving. We did introdutions and the trail talk via FRS radios.

We took highway 67, turned right at the Sprucewood and West Pine Creek Rd. down to the river. All was snowpacked and beautiful. Traction was good. We hopped off 67 at Westcreek and FS 200 to the air-down spot. About 6" of fresh snow and fully cloudy. Awesome. We motored up, down, through and over. We came to a 14" fallen tree across the trail. At least one SxS had already made a bypass. @Shuksan got to use his brand new electric chainsaw (even let me try) a nd made short work of clearing the trail. Tread lightly! Stay the Trail! Eventually we cam out onto County Rd 51. Then we lit out to Hwy 24 and made a detour to hot cocoa and coffee in @Jameson fantastic heated garage!

After that break we rolled through Woodland Park and up to the Rainbow Falls / Illinois Gulch area. It also contains the "mini-moab" area, which frankly only deserves the Mini name. There we observed a group with all non-toyota vehicles working on one of their broken non-toyota vehicles and the only communication from them was when one of them yelled at us at the bottom of the hill that we were putting out the bed of coals in his campfire. Um, yes, we sure did. And re made no reply.

We drove down the "obstacle" and completed a nice loop that ended with the appropriately named Illinois Gulch (not sure about the Illinois part, but it was a gulch). By now the sun was out which made for a spectacular sunset over trees still frosted in fresh snow.

Great crew and day!
IMG_8465.jpg

IMG_8466 Edit for Jameson ha ha.jpg
IMG_8471.jpg
IMG_8470.jpg
IMG_8476.jpg
66276959302__0A3C100E-049E-4A96-8D13-C8D62F9FA98A.jpg
66276960884__8A3B573E-EB30-4026-B945-6AAAA719F076.jpg

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
End of day air-up was beautiful
IMG_8485.jpgIMG_8486.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8481.jpg
    IMG_8481.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 131

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
One bit of excitement on the way in as @Shuksan climbed some rocks (Rainbow Falls area was real wheeling!)
We heard a pop-hiss. He must have momentarily broken his bead. Here is the photo proof. Drove out just fine though!

IMG_8468.jpg

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’ve been thinking about adding the small dewalt chain saw to the my supply of things. Pretty cool to see it came in so handy!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
One bit of excitement on the way in as @Shuksan climbed some rocks (Rainbow Falls area was real wheeling!)
We heard a pop-hiss. He must have momentarily broken his bead. Here is the photo proof. Drove out just fine though!

View attachment 100707
Cool that you seem to have caught the exact moment the air was escaping. It read near 0 on my air pump pressure gauge at air up. Was probably someplace between 5-10 psi.

This past summer we were out wheeling north of steamboat and came across a down tree that required us to turn back and cost ~45 min or so. This saw seems to be capable of handing these jobs and what we need for camping.

Thanks @Inukshuk for organizing and leading and pulling that tree down. Also thanks to @Jameson for hosting us. Good crew and surprised we didn’t have to do any recovery work of our group or any Honda pilots.

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for dropping by and good to meet those who I didn't already know. Always good to see @Inukshuk . If anyone ever needs a garage to fix something or just want to reach out to wheel if in this area please let me know. Happy New Years!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I’ve been thinking about adding the small dewalt chain saw to the my supply of things. Pretty cool to see it came in so handy!
I carry a folding 21" Sven saw and drag chain. They're always in the truck, don't take up much space plus no need to remember to pack them or fuel or charging. It's not as Overlander-cool as a chain saw but gets the job done in a pinch. Of course if I had a chain saw I'd almost definitely throw 'er in after a wind storm or during spring day runs just in case...

2.-21-inch-60th-o-c-1600x1200-.png

Last edited:

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
I carry a folding 21" Sven saw and drag chain. They're always in the truck, don't take up much space plus no need to remember to pack them or fuel or charging. It's not as Overlander-cool as a chain saw but gets the job done in a pinch. Of course if I had a chain saw I'd almost definitely throw 'er in after a wind storm or during spring day runs just in case...

View attachment 100725
Great idea...I have an electric saw I've used in the past but due to its size and the necessity to constantly charge it, it rarely comes with me. I'm going to order one of these!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Great idea...I have an electric saw I've used in the past but due to its size and the necessity to constantly charge it, it rarely comes with me. I'm going to order one of these!
FYI, Jax used to have them in stock. Sven is also made domestically, up in Minnesota, ya der, eh.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
x2 on the Sven Saw. Pretty sure I got mine on Amazon.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

subzali

Hard Core 4+

coloradobound

Hard Core 4+
Not as compact, but I use silky saws.