New to cb and Ham

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I just picked up cb and ham radios, both gifts as I just celebrated a birthday. So, I have no idea what I'm doing. I plan to take my ham test (hoping they have an assortment of honey baked and smoked as I am proficient in both) sooner rather than later but will just be monitoring until I'm licensed. The ham is a beofeng handheld and was thinking that maybe I could mount an antenna to plug into on my truck. Would this be worth it? Would it need tuned?
My CB is a unidan bear cat handheld. I need an antenna. I think that's it other than install to get it working. What type and tuning are my questions with that.
Anyone have time to grab a beer and discuss as I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg for questions!

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
... The ham is a beofeng handheld and was thinking that maybe I could mount an antenna to plug into on my truck. Would this be worth it? Would it need tuned? ...

I use a mag mount antenna on the roof with my Yaesu FT (handheld) ham and it works fine.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Better range than the factory antenna with it riding on the console ?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yes, much better. The handheld antenna, commonly referred to as a rubber ducky, is pretty useless inside a vehicle. An exterior antenna will make your radio function like an interior mounted mobile radio. You just don't have the option to switch the power higher than 5 watts. It's still an order of magnitude better than a CB. :)

subzali

Hard Core 4+