• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New Steering Shaft

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
This is mostly for TJ and Ian's benefit, but here is a pic of my new steering shaft for the FJ60 PS in my FJ40 I've been working on.

Attachments

• Small Steering Shaft.JPG
    Small Steering Shaft.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 4,084

IanB

Looks like they sleeved it with 1" HREW? Cool beans, I can do that here.

So are you almost done with the 40 now?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Len Marks did it for me. He lengthened it with the old FJ40 steering column AND sleeved it.

Not even close to done yet, but I'm inching ever closer. Once I get past this I'm hoping to focus some more attention on it for a while. I'd love to take it to CM next year.

wesintl

RS Moderator
You know for you guys doing a 60 ps conversion. I used a 60 collapsable shaft. You have to get a pillow block for the firewall and then cut off the end of the steering shaft. Then the other end of the 60 coulmn just before the u joint will slide right over the end of the 40 column you just cut. Cut the end of the 60 shaft where you want it and weld it on and your good to go. It's really pretty slick and since it's a collapsable shaft it will adjust to whatever length you desire for a 60 conversion (within reason) and hopefully a little safer. Sorry I don't think i have any pic. My 40 is in va and I don't think i have any pic on this comp. I might have some stashed away somewhere. Hope this makes sense.

40 looks great chris

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
That's what mine is. A 60 steering shaft. Thats what was lengthened and sleeved. The upper part is FJ55 all the way. I only had to but a new u-joint for the lower joint, which had come from the FJ60 joint at the firewall, and put a splined yoke on it. I've got a PS pump pulley coming from Iron Pig Offroad, too.

:D

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Man thats shinny Chris.

I just finsihed installing my mini-truck PS mod about 30 minutes ago. It does make a difference.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I think the difference is with the 55 column you don't need a pillow block at the firewall and the 60 shaft at the u joint fits the 55 column.. Mine has a few inches past the u joint and a few inches on the 40 column maybe that's the difference of not needing be be lengthened.

I didn't realize that was a 60 shaft ;)

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Romer said:
Man thats shinny Chris.

I just finsihed installing my mini-truck PS mod about 30 minutes ago. It does make a difference.

Cool. I was happy with mini-truck on my '67. I just thought I'd go with FJ60 on this one. It's on my pig, too. Interestingly enough I don't thing we had to lengthen the steering shaft on the pig. We just used the FJ55/FJ60 combo.

I'm hoping to work on it this Sunday during the Bronco game. I've got to replace the valve cover gasket and water pump on my wife's '85 pickup first. :p