New SROR Tube Bumper For My 80

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I spent about 8 hours with Jim yesterday fabbing up a new tube bumper for my 80. It ended up different and better than my original design. Brackets are welded to the frame, bumper is welded to the bracket.

We had fun figuring out the angles on the second bend of the main tube to wrap around the sides, and managed to get it exact side to side. Jim really nailed that with the tube bender :thumb:

It's white now as I've primed it only - will be painted black (I'll need to mask the front end so I don't make any more of a mess :hill:

Jim is going to weld in a 5" plate on the face of the brackets and frame rails, which will act as a bit of a slider if ever needed, clean up the look of the open frame rails, and most importantly protect those low hanging cooler lines.

I think the look turned out perfect for my 80. My wife loves the stinger look and since it's a gift from her I had to go for it :beer:, and I think it's still Toyota all the way.

2" .120 wall should be more than enough strength, and it's all tucked up tight to the sides. Thanks to SROR and Merry Christmas :cheers:

Attachments

• DSC05036.JPG
    DSC05036.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC05037.JPG
    DSC05037.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC05040.JPG
    DSC05040.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 271

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Looks AWESOME man!

Also looks like you got a little overspray there! :D

bskey

Looks great..... and I like it white!

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Looks great, Nay! It's about time people start fabbing lightweight, functional armor to an already heavy vehicle.

Tubing has been proven over many years in motorsports to be stong and lightweight at the same time.

My front and rear tube bumpers weigh only about 30-40lbs more than the stock crap.

I am happy Mr. T did not put crumple zones on the front of the 80's frames. It makes it alot easier to fab up and tuck in a bumper.

Nay, when you fab your rear bumper, I assume you will cut down the frame rails a few inches to geta better departure angle?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
lookes awesome!!! jim does some great work!!!

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Nay, when you fab your rear bumper, I assume you will cut down the frame rails a few inches to geta better departure angle?

Yep - when I bought my 80 I was committed to no extra weight and gaining clearance without excessive lift. I've been down that road on my previous rig and never again. This bumper doesn't weigh any more than the stock tinfoil and plastic it replaces.

I won't do anything but tube due to the strength to weight ratio - the rear bumper on the 80 will be more interesting, but can also be tucked in without adding material weight even with a tire carrier. I figure I can trim in the frame, plate the frame at a "slider" departure angle, and end up with the approach departure angles close to a 6"+ lift on my 3.5" lift. Of course, all the low hanging breakover angle stuff is what gets me anyway :hill:.

What I want to do on the rear is keep the Slee receiver I have mounted in the stock "bumper", but pull it in a bit while keeping a tube design. That will be an interesting project.

Of note, my AC dryer is relocated into the engine bay (JDM), so that allowed some design freedom on a '95.

The white primer color is really growing on me...:D. Jim really did a great job - amazing to see that kind of commitment at what are really below market prices, especially on the Saturday before Christmas :cheers:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Great looking unit, i vote for white................if I have a vote ;-)

Nay

Hard Core 4+
it was good to meet you sat. The bumper looks great BTW. Happy Trails:thumb:

Good to meet you, too.

I think the white is staying...just a coincidence that the primer was white and now I'm really liking it...

White on White is supposed to be outdated :hill:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Good to meet you, too.

I think the white is staying...just a coincidence that the primer was white and now I'm really liking it...

So are tube bumpers but that looks awesome! ;):thumb:

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Here is what I've done on the front. It looks like you've 45'ed the frame channels like me, and here is what I've done to the rear. I made a new crossmember out of 2"x4" 3/16" wall rectangular stock and added the tube to it, with a runner to the frame on the sides, of course. Your're right about having the equivalent or better depart. angle than a truck with 6" and an aftermarket bumper (not that those are bad).
IMG_1269.sized.jpg

IMG_1268.sized.jpg

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Good to meet you, too.

I think that is only after Labor Day, or if you weigh less than 2 tons :thumb:

Looks like it will be a WHITE Christmas present after all for you :D