• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New Forum: post bugs here

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm talking about all the past reports and threads with pics in them. They all seem to have the thumbnail pics. Not just my threads.
We're going to run a find & replace so that all the photos in existing threads will be displayed at full width.

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
You want new users? You'll need Tapatalk. Especially if you plan to put your "app" on Android and Apple stores.
Congratulations on the conversion, by the way! :)

Our goal isn't to grow a forum, but keep an online resource available to our local club. We like having an expanded user base especially since it keeps us connected with other clubs and old members that have moved away/new members moving to our area, but that's the largest extent of our forum.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'll focus, and respond to #1. First of all, while xenForo 2.1 does have features that users loved about Tapatalk, it's not nearly as much as you'd suspect. People love the "native app" feel of Tapatalk, so - and mysiteguy can confirm what I said. It's not always a good idea to remove Tapatalk, because you're still dealing with users. Those users want Tapatalk installed. You have two ways of mobile viewing. Some people like the mobile view of the forums, some people like the Tapatalk "native app" feel. TAZ and other forums think to drop Tapatalk, but you're actually missing out, when you do. Tapatalk is actually a network and a search engine. You want new users? You'll need Tapatalk. Especially if you plan to put your "app" on Android and Apple stores. On top of this, google favors mobile sites like Tapatalk, so if you want the traffic to blow up, keep Tapatalk installed at all times, even if you have to re-install it onto a new platform (XF2).

We'll consider Tapatalk but first I'd like all the previous Tapatalk users to try the new forum and see how it works first. One of the reasons we upgraded was to offer a forum that was mobile friendly without having to use another app. We also offer an advertising-free environment, and Tapatalk inserts their ads into our content -- which I understand, they want to get paid for their time, but they aren't offering a revenue split, and we're generating the content. If our members want Tapatalk, we'll probably do it, but everyone should try the new forum out first.

Not sure about putting our "app" on the app stores -- is there a XF app that we can configure to be our own?

Regarding traffic: The point of this forum is not to gain a slew of new users or earn a bunch of money. It's for a bunch of friends to stay connected. We're a local club based in the Denver metro area. We welcome new members, but we're looking for people who will show up in person for trail runs, meetings, and other local events. We still have forum members from all over the world, but most of them have shared a beer with us by a campfire at some point in the past.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I get a "Not secure" message next to the URL when browsing the forum in Chrome. I actually started getting that alert a couple of weeks before the forum was migrated to XF.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I get a "Not secure" message next to the URL when browsing the forum in Chrome. I actually started getting that alert a couple of weeks before the forum was migrated to XF.
This is on the list to be fixed.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for the insight @Carlos I didn't realize there was continued relevance in Tapatalk at all but that makes sense.
I'm personally very happy with the mobile browser experience as its consistent and stands alone, I like @Hulk s approach to wait and see if it's required by current users or not.
Glad to see we're up running under https today, great ongoing effort guys!

Carlos

We'll consider Tapatalk but first I'd like all the previous Tapatalk users to try the new forum and see how it works first. One of the reasons we upgraded was to offer a forum that was mobile friendly without having to use another app. We also offer an advertising-free environment, and Tapatalk inserts their ads into our content -- which I understand, they want to get paid for their time, but they aren't offering a revenue split, and we're generating the content. If our members want Tapatalk, we'll probably do it, but everyone should try the new forum out first.
Good approach! :)
Not sure about putting our "app" on the app stores -- is there a XF app that we can configure to be our own?
Tapatalk allows for multiple tiers of the app itself. In one of the tiers, you can put this thing "Tapatalk" for your site - on Android/App, it requires some steps to get it working. I'm not saying you should do it, but if you want the rest of the world, you need Tapatalk. Especially the rest of colorado. As a marketing guy myself, I'd focus on that, too... But only if you have the money.

Don't make your own forum app. Just focus on Tapatalk. If your users like the mobile view of the site as it is now... then that's fine. If you users are clamoring for Tapatalk to be re-added again, do it. Ignore the Tapatalk negative noise on admin sites. Tapatalk does have glitches, bugs, and whatnot, but that's to be expected with everything, like xenForo. All it takes is keeping a lookout for new updates. Install them as early as a convenience as you can.
Regarding traffic: The point of this forum is not to gain a slew of new users or earn a bunch of money. It's for a bunch of friends to stay connected. We're a local club based in the Denver metro area. We welcome new members, but we're looking for people who will show up in person for trail runs, meetings, and other local events. We still have forum members from all over the world, but most of them have shared a beer with us by a campfire at some point in the past.
Good and well. Noble, even, but you're wasting money, time, and resources if you think small. I think Colorado is bigger than how niche this site is. I guarentee you that there are more Truckers from Colorado. Just my 2 cents.

It's good to carve a niche, but what - what I'm saying is that you guys are selling yourselves short.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Tapatalk is a turd pile.

We aren’t after even the rest of Colorado-if you were part of our community you would understand that we are a chapter member of an international organization. There are other chapters scattered throughout this and other states. They know who we are and how to find us.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
This may have been brought up, and maybe I missed it.
But...
Is there a way to edit a post? Am I just not seeing it?

simps80

Rising Sun Member
This may have been brought up, and maybe I missed it.
But...
Is there a way to edit a post? Am I just not seeing it?
I had same question, I figured I am probably just overlooking it, but still cant figure it out

wesintl

RS Moderator
try it now.. it's in the bottom of post below sig on left side

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
I'll need Tapatalk to be on here much. Not that it's big deal - I'm just a lurker, even on a good day - but firing up Chrome on my phone is a rarity, and not something I do for forums.

Mark

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'll need Tapatalk to be on here much. Not that it's big deal - I'm just a lurker, even on a good day - but firing up Chrome on my phone is a rarity, and not something I do for forums.

Mark

Mark, what kind of phone do you have?

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I recently went on the forum with an old ipod...everything looked great, except there wasn't a button to click on the last page of a thread...so if I wanted to see the "spotted" thread, I had to start from post #1 instead of jumping in on the last page to see the most current post. Maybe it's because I was using old technology?

Also, I don't understand why I have to log on to view a thumbnail in a larger format. Why have thumbnail views at all? We all love pictures...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I recently went on the forum with an old ipod...everything looked great, except there wasn't a button to click on the last page of a thread...so if I wanted to see the "spotted" thread, I had to start from post #1 instead of jumping in on the last page to see the most current post. Maybe it's because I was using old technology?

You didn't get the "Jump to New" button at the top of the thread?

Also, I don't understand why I have to log on to view a thumbnail in a larger format. Why have thumbnail views at all? We all love pictures...

Two things:

1. This is the first I have heard that you see thumbnails when you're not logged in and full size images when you're logged in. Can you tell me which thread you saw this on?

2. We did a find/replace on the code so that our old posts would display FS images rather than thumbnails. The problem is when the images are just attachments and not inserted into a post -- which is probably most of our old posts. I will see if there is a default setting that can be changed.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Matt, I don’t see a “jump to new” anywhere. My iPad and PC show little boxes with page numbers I can jump to, but my iPods don’t. Just starts me from post 1.

The other issue isn’t thumbnails when not logged in, both views being logged in or not are the same. The difference being if I’m logged in and want to see a larger view of a thumbnail, the larger image appears in a new window when I click on the small image. If I’m not logged in, I get a small window saying I have to log in to see the larger view. I typically visit the site as a “guest” reading posts, and log in if a want to reply or throw my two cents in to a thread.
Full size images have worked great for us in the past, and would love to see thumbnail images eliminated completely. If that can’t happen, then at least we should be able to open thumbnails with out logging in