• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

New forum for all things battery-operated

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been discussing this with a few other members. Given the interest (or disinterest) in all things EV, I thought it would be a good idea to have a forum section just to discuss all the electric vehicle news, whether it's a 4x4 or just a better Tesla. This means you don't have to put all the discussion in that one Rivian thread.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I love it Matt! Though some may call me biased...

5D267025-16C7-4A73-8D5B-E2AB384593CF.jpeg

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I want an EV with modular batteries. My daily driver is a 2013 Nissan Leaf, it has a range of 50-60 miles. The range is low but suits my needs for 90% of the days that I drive. It'd be nice to have a 300 or 400 mile range occasionally but I don't want to haul the extra battery weight around all the time for those few days where I need an extended range. If I had a vehicle where I could easily drop in a 2nd or 3rd battery for short term use, that'd be cool.

How heavy is the battery pack for the Rivian? If a cell or two fails, can it be easily repaired? Can I leave half of the battery at home for daily driving duty? It's be cool if the manufactures could get together to create a standard interchangeable battery pack. Maybe the "fueling" stations have some slick hardware that can perform the swap of a 600lb battery with automated equipment that takes less than a minute. Maybe you subscribe to a service that manages the batteries so you don't own a battery and don't really care if has 95% or 85% capacity because you can swap it out at the next fueling station.

While I want my 80 to last a long time, I am excited at the range of possibilities that EVs bring up.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Curious why this section is under Toyota 4x4? Last I read, Toyota was all-in on hydrogen and didn't have any short term plans for EVs.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Curious why this section is under Toyota 4x4? Last I read, Toyota was all-in on hydrogen and didn't have any short term plans for EVs.
@J1000 is converting an 80 to EV (see the "Jimmy's Electric Adventures" thread - it's a pretty awesome read, if you haven't taken a look already). Toyota has been piloting 70-series EV trucks in Australia. It also sounds like they might have even more short-term EV plans for their 4x4 trucks/SUVs, per the announcement that came out with the bZ4X concept unveiling.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee