New EGO electric lawmower

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
After 11 years I'm replacing my gas powered mower with an electric one. I bought the EGO 21 inch mower with the 7.5 Ah battery and charger.

I decided to go with this model for a few reasons.
  1. Over 7000 positive reviews.
  2. I already have the EGO leaf blower that came with the 5Ah battery. I can use both batteries with the mower and blower.
  3. Lowes is having a 100 bucks off sale right now through April 20th.
  4. Now that I have solar on the house it shouldn't cost me anything to charge it in the spring, summer and early fall. No more gas, spark plugs or oil to replace.
  5. My gas mower would struggle cutting taller grass. I would have to cut twice sometimes if I missed a regular cut. This has way more torque.
  6. Just some random guy at lowes convinced me to buy one. He said his was amazing.
  7. This particular model has the brushless motor.
I haven't assembled it yet, but I'm super excited to get it going to see how it works.

Screenshot_20220416-123120_Chrome.jpg

20220416_122845.jpg

20220416_122837.jpg

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It'll blow your mind how good it is! See what I did there? I had a gas one before and it's not even close how much more power the electric one has. But you just have to weigh the cost right.
I need a leaf blower. How do you like the Ego one?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I need a leaf blower. How do you like the Ego one?
I have the ego 530 CFM blower that I got in a package with string trimmer. Really phenomenal! I use it so much more than when I had my old blower because of how easy it is to just grab use and put back.

As you know I also have the ego 18" chainsaw that I am very happy with in limited service so far. Like any battery tool system it is nice when you get a few tools with exchangeable batteries.

Been wanting one of these mowers that @RayRay27 just got. Sale is tempting, might have to forward to Katie with a note about upcoming birthday...

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
We have the Ego lawnmower, trimmer, and leaf blower and all have been amazing. The mower in particular is impressive with how quiet it is. I also picked up this small inverter that snaps onto any of the Ego batteries, and when our power went out I used to run our modem, router, and a few other things to stay online. We’ve been using Ego stuff for about 5 years with zero issues.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
My question is how do you keep up your right arm strength when you're not pulling on gas powered lawn equipment.

Oh wait, I know.....:cool:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It's been a little over two months since I purchased my EGO mower and holy $h!t is this the best yard tool I have ever bought! I have never been so excited to cut the grass before. The power of the electric motor is mind blowing to me. This thing doesn't bog down at all if the grass gets to long. With the double blade system you only have to cut the lane or row once. With my old Troy Built gas mower, if I let the grass over a few inches I would have to cut the spots twice sometimes. This thing don't play around! It came with the 7.5 Ah battery so I have plenty of juice to cut the front and back one right after another and have 70% battery life left. It also has about 8 speed settings for the forward propulsion that drive the rear wheels. The EGO mower is made out of hardend molded plastic which makes it super light and very easy to maneuver around objects. At this point I don't have any negatives opinions of the EGO mower other than that sometimes the rear drive wheels won't disengage right away after you use them so if you need to pull back on the mower the wheels are stuck in the forward drive position. Only way I have found to correct this is too push it forward a few inches while not using the self propulsion buttons, then the wheels will disengage.

Otherwise this thing kicks ass and was well worth the extra cash i spent for an electric mower.
20220618_074737.jpg

20220618_074802.jpg

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Damn Ray! Your grass looks nice!

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I'm happy that you find the 2135 works so well for you. Your freshly cut lawn looks super with very even cutting and no obvious clippings without bagging and just mulching, it would appear. Wish my experience with the same 2135 model was half as good as yours. I bought the 2102 with a single blade a month ago and was totally dissatisfied with it after one cutting. Ace Hardware took it back in trade on the same model as yours, RayRay, with the dual blade system and I was hoping it would at least mulch a little better and not leave tufts of grass or just lay the grass over as badly as the 2102 did. The 2135 does mulch the clippings much better, but the 2102 didn't seem to mulch at all with full length clippings being being left behind after a mowing pass. Laying the grass over, uncut, the 2135 isn't much better and "tufting" still occurs too. If I want the lawn to look as good as yours I have to mow the yard twice, which I have done in the three mowings I've used the Ego so far. I do really like the light weight and it is really easy to push without using the drive system. Not having to deal with gas and oil is a big plus but it sure doesn't cut nearly as well as my 15 old Toro that I gave to a friend. I'll stick with the Ego and will get more exercise mowing the yard twice every time the grass gets cut. My $.02.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm happy that you find the 2135 works so well for you. Your freshly cut lawn looks super with very even cutting and no obvious clippings without bagging and just mulching, it would appear. Wish my experience with the same 2135 model was half as good as yours. I bought the 2102 with a single blade a month ago and was totally dissatisfied with it after one cutting. Ace Hardware took it back in trade on the same model as yours, RayRay, with the dual blade system and I was hoping it would at least mulch a little better and not leave tufts of grass or just lay the grass over as badly as the 2102 did. The 2135 does mulch the clippings much better, but the 2102 didn't seem to mulch at all with full length clippings being being left behind after a mowing pass. Laying the grass over, uncut, the 2135 isn't much better and "tufting" still occurs too. If I want the lawn to look as good as yours I have to mow the yard twice, which I have done in the three mowings I've used the Ego so far. I do really like the light weight and it is really easy to push without using the drive system. Not having to deal with gas and oil is a big plus but it sure doesn't cut nearly as well as my 15 old Toro that I gave to a friend. I'll stick with the Ego and will get more exercise mowing the yard twice every time the grass gets cut. My $.02.
So I haven't done any mulching yet, I have just been bagging everything because I have been going about two weeks between cuts. I usually don't start mulching until the late summer when its so damn hot and the grass just doesn't grow as fast. I'll have to do another update later in the summer and try mulching.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Got it. Not seeing the bag attached to the mower I presumed you were mulching. Did you swap the blade to the bagging blade? I don’t bag and mow weekly.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Got it. Not seeing the bag attached to the mower I presumed you were mulching. Did you swap the blade to the bagging blade? I don’t bag and mow weekly.
Correct, I just used the light weight blade(s) for bagging.