Need recommendations on FJ-40 work

jhax

I have a 71 FJ-40. I am looking to have the wiring harness replaced, 4 speed installed, and some body work done. I still have the original engine and 3 on the tree. Any recommendations on local shops that can do this work?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Local in Indian Hills? There's a shop in Kitteredge, but I'm not sure what their specialty is, but I've seen a couple Cruisers outside. CTS in Conifer could probably do it.. or Rocky Mountain Cruisers but that's a drive down 285..

Then there's this one dude that hangs out with us and lives in Kittredge who could definitely do it, but it's doubtful he's taking on any new side project right now... but heck maybe he'll pipe in and surprise you! :)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I recently recommended that a friend with a '66 FJ40 take his to Rocky Mountain Cruisers for some similar work; wiring, weld in some metal, etc... They didn't even want to look at it. I think they are only interested in super high dollar restorations these days. :confused:

jhax

I know all about side projects. And my poor FJ has been too loong neglected. Which is why I am going to bit the bullet and have someone else do some work. I took it to CTS last year and they f-d up the wiring and left me to tune the carb. Not sure if Classic Cruisers is interested in new projects.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Dang, sorry to hear that. One other good place for Cruisers is Charlie's Garage in North Boulder... it's an hour away but those guys know what they're doing. hth...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I recently recommended that a friend with a '66 FJ40 take his to Rocky Mountain Cruisers for some similar work; wiring, weld in some metal, etc... They didn't even want to look at it. I think they are only interested in super high dollar restorations these days. :confused:

That is sad to hear...I know Ron is always busy but he's always seemed to be able to squeeze in some "regular" work with the restorations...Then again, you've got to concentrate on what pays the bills :(

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I have a 71 FJ-40. I am looking to have the wiring harness replaced, 4 speed installed, and some body work done. I still have the original engine and 3 on the tree. Any recommendations on local shops that can do this work?
Hi Jhax, what's you're name and where in Indian Hills are you? I'm in Kittredge and work between Indian Hills and Conifer. I don't do "work" but help out buddies all the time. Last Sunday we built and welded in a new skid plate appendage for fellow Rising Sun member Scott Yoder (Jaderunner). I always have a full plate of my own projects, and am always ready to help out my friends with theirs.

At a minimum, I'd be happy to take a look at your rig and chat with you about it, give you ill-informed suggestions and make wild promises. I could show you my 71 and point out all the stuff I did wrong too :)