• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Need help on MC purchase

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have a line on a 73 LC Master cylinder for my 4Runner. Plan is to go to IFS calipers and eventually rear discs. Will the MC work on my 85 4runner or should I get another model? I can get it for $25 but that is not the deciding factor, I want something that will do the job.

So far I have the IFS style discs and Bill M showed me how to get new calipers for a fair price. I am piecing the rest together and once all the parts are on the shelf I will convert.

Any comments and or suggestions are wanted and mostly needed:p:

:cheers:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
80 Series or some later Taco or T100 MCs are the hot setup. You want a 1" bore ideally, with a V6 vacuum assist, for the most powerful brakes. 13/16" will stop you but it gets eerily close to max travel on the MC. NOT fun holding a hill in a spooky 4x4 situation. If you go 1" only, using your I4 vacuum assist, your foot won't be happy. But you will stop. DAMHIK

Trip to the Yota Yard for the vacuum assist, and Napa for the MC, will make you and your wallet the happiest long term IMHO. Lifetime warranty on the nicer NAPA MC that costs a tad more. Aisin is stock but will set you back (and no warranty), although I believe Allpro and TG sell an aftermarket version that should work OK. You don't care about the 'residual valve' they talk so much about.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Will have to price a new one at Napa, thanks for the info.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Good to hear, as funds are running low I like the less expensive rout but we'll see.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Tom, you will want a 1" bore if you will use IFS calipers though.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I take it the LC does not have that? In that case the LC is out and the waiting game begins. I am trying to get this done before Moab but .............we'll see.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Tom, you will want a 1" bore if you will use IFS calipers though.
FYI, the non-USA M/C for a late-model (1977-1983) *J45 all drum is 1-1/8". It moves more fluid but takes more leg pressure (duh - physics!). It has the same bolt pattern as any booster-equpped LC and would thus fit the 1st gen runner. And cheaper than the USA version from $OR!