• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Need advice 2000 SR5 4 runner

Prettywild

New-ish
Hi, just joined the club. I live in Moab utah, I have a Toyota 4 runner,2000, the transmission just went out. (200000) it still runs, excellent condition other than the stupid transmission! Don't know what to do! Had it looked at and was told that the radiator blew and kicked crap in the transmission. I have babied my beloved Roxy for years. Not really sure what to do with her. Any suggestions would be great! Fix her or sell her to someone who can use the parts? Any advice would be great. I'd love to fix it but seriously if it's too much I may have to move on to a new vehicle. Thanks in advance!

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
Check with the folks in Book Cliff Cruisers, they're in your neck of the woods and there may be someone who would do the transmission swap out of their garage more affordably. Will cost you more to have this job done at a shop than the truck is worth unfortunately. https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/co-book-cliff-cruisers.233/.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Welcome, I also live in Moab. For all my cars, I use Parrotts Garage (they will also give you a quote) for all my cars in Moab, and Well Sorted, Doug, just finished my LJ70, great job in Buena Vista.

Prettywild

New-ish
Check with the folks in Book Cliff Cruisers, they're in your neck of the woods and there may be someone who would do the transmission swap out of their garage more affordably. Will cost you more to have this job done at a shop than the truck is worth unfortunately. https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/co-book-cliff-cruisers.233/.
Thanks a bunch for your help/ reply, I was afraid that would be the case, do you know what I should ask for it as a total haul off parts type deal, ? Besides what the major issues are the vehicle as a whole is immaculate. Also have a great set of tires, honestly before this the issues where, power antenna broke, power door locks,a little scratch on the interior console between the front seat, and the floor mat is kinda worn where your foot is on the gas.

Prettywild

New-ish
Welcome, I also live in Moab. For all my cars, I use Parrotts Garage (they will also give you a quote) for all my cars in Moab, and Well Sorted, Doug, just finished my LJ70, great job in Buena Vista.
Thanks for your advice, I will give them a call for sure!

rover67

Rising Sun Member

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You might also call Keith in Grand Junction. He has a good reputation and can tell you what your options are. Most of us would tell you to fix your 4Runner if it's in good shape otherwise. It's probably good for another 200,000 once you get the tranny replaced or rebuilt.

IMG_3111.jpeg

Prettywild

New-ish
Thank you! I will head your advice and give them a call! If l were to offer it for 1500 for a whole package tow it deal?

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
I think somebody on the forum just posted a 4runner for sale for like 10k FYI....
It's crazy what they're selling for these days. KBB for a fair 4x4 2000 4runner is $1,500-2,500, but on ksl looks like they're going for $3,500 with high miles. My dad just bought a 2000 4runner in slc no rust with 280k miles on it for $2,500, they do often run eons. A ballpark to replace a transmission could be $2k.

That being said I've replaced two transmissions on my cruisers, spent way more than insurance says they're worth. If you love em...

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Thank you! I will head your advice and give them a call! If l were to offer it for 1500 for a whole package tow it deal?

Someone might snap it up for sure. You'd need to post up some photos if you really want to sell.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Again just as an FYI here by no means a valuation.

Not sure if he sold it or if it’s even a going rate.

If it’s a nice truck my bet is it’d bring decent money but that shouldn’t be the deciding factor. If it’s decent and the engine is in good shape you may want to fix and keep. I’m just sayin don’t give it away is all.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Also Keith’s garage did all the work on my 80 prior to my purchase and guided the previous owner. He seems like a real great guy/shop

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Keith used to work at Safari Ltd, he went on his own when the shop was shut down. He's solid and would be my recommendation.

There's also Metric Motors (Mike Goodknight) here in GJ but he's more of a Cruiser specialty shop than you're looking for probably.

I'd also throw out there Antonelli's. They do a lot of Subarus but AFAIK he works on anything. I ride mountain bikes sometimes with the owner Dan. He drives a first gen Tacoma with a Flip-Pac, so he gets it.

How much of hurry are you in and would you be interested in turning wrenches yourself?

Prettywild

New-ish
I'm not exactly the wrench turning type! Wish I was! I need to get a new something to get to work back and forth,12 miles each way LoL I think at this point I'm thinking selling it is my best option, basically I invest 3 grand or use that on a down payment. I think I will take pictures and post it. As much as it saddens me to admit!