• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Need a new muffler. Magnaflow or Borla? Impact on emissions test?

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
The stock muffler in my 2007 is looking pretty bad. Muffler outer skin and cover very rusted out and banged up. Have an ARB rear bar on truck and would prefer to keep original resonator and tailpipe and just add new muffler. Like the Borla and Magnaflow options, but looks like Magnaflow would tuck up higher into body. Any opinions and suggestions of a good shop in Denver to get this work done?

live in Denver and have never had a problem with passing smog test. Would an aftermarket exhaust be an issue?
thanks,

todd

J1000

Rising Sun Member
No problem passing emissions with modified exhaust as long as you leave the catalytic converters alone. I really like Exhaust Pros they are cheap and fast. Can't give an opinion on the mufflers, other than I think magnaflows are a bit louder.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This place is great. I highly recommend. They do 4WD vehicles all the time, and can weld up anything you want. They are pros.
A A Performance Muffler & Brakes
3898 S Broadway, Englewood, CO 80113
(303) 806-8634

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This place is great. I highly recommend. They do 4WD vehicles all the time, and can weld up anything you want. They are pros.
A A Performance Muffler & Brakes
3898 S Broadway, Englewood, CO 80113
(303) 806-8634

I just recently got a new muffler and they are literally a mom and pop shop and the guy does art. I watched him to the work and I would say this is the place to go.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the suggestions! Will call Scott and see what he suggests. Appreciate the referral.

Todd

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I just finished up at AA Performance Muffler a little bit ago today. I had them replace my rusted out factory muffler on my 100 series cruiser with a new stainless steel Magnaflow muffler. I decided to leave the factory resonator in place (Scott also recommended this) because I was concerned that it would be too loud without it. The new muffler sounds great. No noticeable noise increase in the cabin but it has a slightly deeper exhaust note outside. I’m really happy with the results and have nothing but great things to say about Scott and his team.
Thanks to everyone here for the recommendations.
35AD3B78-E2DC-44E3-9241-7D5390BD0614.jpeg
49DE2712-3582-402A-8400-48CADCE8F43B.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
My turn to call AA for my 100! They took care of my 80 with a Borla I had. Seems that Magnaflow would be the way to go for the 2006 100.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I've also used Scott at AA in Englewood for my 60, and would recommend him.

The other end of the price range is Intermountain Radiator & Muffler on 25th & Federal - in and out quick for stupid cheap. Used them for my old Tacoma several times. The welds are ugly, but they've always held.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I just finished up at AA Performance Muffler a little bit ago today. I had them replace my rusted out factory muffler on my 100 series cruiser with a new stainless steel Magnaflow muffler.
Do you know the model Magnaflow he used on your 100? My previous experience with Magnaflow was a 2-1/4" Pro Flow Turbo on Imelda and that was loud and ricer sounding (which the 22R-E can tend to sound like anyway). So I've maybe unfairly shied away from Magnaflows since but need to start thinking about the exhaust on the Tacoma.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I recently did a magnaflow 11255 on my 2.7 Tacoma and Dave... I like it a lot, you can hear it here:
Definitely not a raspy sound, almost too little change for my taste, way less rusty though ;-)

I also have a magnaflow on the 100, 12256, I like it and people comment about the sound all the time (DT headers, stock cats, magnaflow welded into stock piping, resonator deleted). Of all the 100 exhausts I've heard I've not found one that sounded much better for less $ as the mufflers go.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I recently did a magnaflow 11255 on my 2.7 Tacoma and Dave... I like it a lot, you can hear it here:
Definitely not a raspy sound, almost too little change for my taste, way less rusty though ;-)

I also have a magnaflow on the 100, 12256, I like it and people comment about the sound all the time (DT headers, stock cats, magnaflow welded into stock piping, resonator deleted). Of all the 100 exhausts I've heard I've not found one that sounded much better for less $ as the mufflers go.

Thanks Andy, the mighty 22R-E Turbonium sound...

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

So @AimCOTaco if I buy one and show up at your house with pizza and beers ..... (or perhaps under the lift at Chase Garage?) Next week? Tonight Ha ha

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Do you know the model Magnaflow he used on your 100? My previous experience with Magnaflow was a 2-1/4" Pro Flow Turbo on Imelda and that was loud and ricer sounding (which the 22R-E can tend to sound like anyway). So I've maybe unfairly shied away from Magnaflows since but need to start thinking about the exhaust on the Tacoma.
@DaveInDenver it is the Magnaflow 12256. Same as @AimCOTaco. I like the sound of it but mine is still in stock form otherwise.

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
My 05 4R will smell of exhaust if/when I put my foot into it to get up and go. Sometimes it's really bad (rear window cracked a bit) but airs out pretty quick.

Midas says $3500 for the full system. Our mechanic looked at it and described something a long the lines of something like a honeycomb that is filling up and the exhaust is not passing through completely/correctly (at least that's kinda what I remember from over a year ago). Does that even make sense?

Anyhow, does anybody have any experience with a muffler/system doing the same thing? And, are there any good shops around Longmont/Ft Collins that might be worth our business?

I might call AA Performance Muffler that was mentioned above but getting to Englewood during the week isn't terribly convenient.

Thanks,