• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

nakman's 60 build

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well not a lot to report this week, a little sanding but tbh the coldness kinda slowed me down earlier. But I'm making progress on the sanding... it's always hard for me to find that balance between "dude it's just a truck and you're going to wheel it in the snow" and "this is a classic Land Cruiser and the world is counting on you to present a pristine example". I hope to land somewhere around the 50 yard line of that continuum.. time of course is the primary currency here and I'm on a race to get things done before the next cold snap of the weather.

So tonight I got some progress done on the "booth." I've had this idea in my head for about 5 years on how to turn my garage into a temporary paint booth. The steps are as follows:

1. Add an exhaust fan to the back door
2. Replace the windows of the main door with furnace filters
3. Put up curtains on the sides, just outside of the double side door tracks.
4. Add an intake fan to the main door.

My thought with #3 is this allows random junk to stay in place on the workbench, and also allows bay #3 to remain a holding bin for large items that I don't want oversprayed, but are too big, too heavy, or too nice to just put outside for a while. So when I go to paint the process will be back the 40 out, move junk over to the 40's spot in the garage, then lower the curtains and fire up the fans. Time will tell how well this works.

This is the exhaust fan I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836DQS7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it came with a rheostat, so I am hoping to balance my outgoing air so as not to create too much of a negative pressure. I'm really not sure what will happen here, basically will the fan suck air through the filters first, or will it want to pull in the plastic curtains... hoping it just sucks air through the filters. It says it will do 940 CFM. My rough calculation of the booth is 4,600 cubic feet (16x24x12) so let's say it will take that fan 5 minutes to replace all the air in the garage. Here it is installed:
IMG_2532.jpg
IMG_2533.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I went cheap on the furnace filters, but mainly because I want the maximum amount of new air that I can get, the better filters just seem more restrictive. I'm really not sure what kind of dust particles will come through this, but they are easily swapped if deemed necessary. Basically I just unscrewed the windows in the door, then added a piece of roofing flashing as a shelf support- crammed the filters in place, and duct taped them in securely. Tomorrow when it's light out I'll duct tape the outside- I bought a roll of white duct tape for this so it'll look classy. Here's what half of it looks like, with the existing windows in the other half:

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

And here's the whole thing... that one odd white filter is a 16x16, which I needed for sizing purposes, and they were out of the cheap ones in that size so I had to drop $5 on that guy. My thought is the intake fan will likely go to the right of that white square filter.

IMG_2535.jpg
IMG_2536.jpg

rover67

Rising Sun Member
whoa I am sure Michelle is stoked. I do need to repaint the fender flares on the 80 though.... hmmm......

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Hey can I paint the roof and hood of my 80 in there?!?!
You rent that ship out by the hour by chance?!?

LOL
That’s gotta be even less enthusiastically received than me washing the seat belts in the new dishwasher

Nice work man, my turn-my-garage-into-single-use-but-not-it’s-intended-use game is weak

Totes jealous

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
well, I can't say enough about the exhaust fan, like file this one under the"should have done that years ago" column.. wow what a difference. I was able to sand right in front of it, then instead of shaking the piece off I blew it into the fan with the air gun. Almost no dust got onto the floor, let alone into the air. Then I emptied 1/2 a can of primer out onto it, twice. I could go in the house for 5 minutes then come back to the garage and it was like I hadn't even been painting. Night and day compared to before I had any fan in the door. I still don't have the intake fan hooked up, or any plastic blocking off the 40, but for spraying one part in the corner of the room this is awesome. Will have to look at the ground outside the door tomorrow, see if I can see any of my dust or overspray.

IMG_2542.jpg

I then took off the passenger side fenders. Like most projects the second side takes about half the time as the first side took. The inside of the fender has some muddy needle-like dirt on it, but other than that this side is actually cleaner than the DS was..

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

and the coveted sticker...

IMG_2544.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 138

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
first batch! Not great, but not too bad, going to continue to use the inner fenders to keep getting this dialed in. Pretty excited to see some blue tonight.

IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2554.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@nakman want to paint my truck next?? :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Pulled the parts out into the warming oven... will do coat2 on the hood, that front valence and those little hatch covers this afternoon, I'm going to let that inner fender go as is as it'll just get covered in dirt, oil, and zip ties again here shortly. But this is what those pieces look lik in the sun.
IMG_2555.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
More painting. I pulled a few brackets off the firewall, and just tied back the wiper motor, was able to then mask under that lip. So at least the top of the firewall will be blue now when you open the hood, and no more odd transition of paint near the back gasket. I had about double the amount of leaves in there once I started blowing out from the wiper motor hole, I think the 60 is a couple pounds lighter now. I also sanded off all the remaining windshield gasket, so that surface will be super clean when Rusty comes back over to put my windshield back in.

Yesterday I sprayed both inner fenders, then last night masked their holes and sprayed the insides with undercoating. So the front inner fenders are done. Today I sprayed both outer fenders, one of them has some fish eyes on it from I don't know what... I guess tomorrow I can try to sand that off then spray it again. The other one looks pretty good though. And the hood looks pretty darn killer actually... few little dings if you look long enough, but holy hell it looks so much better than it did before, and way better than the job I did on the 40. Not that the 40 is a high bar, by any means... :rolleyes:

IMG_2559.jpg
IMG_2560.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg

I need to get this done, then probably recover for a while. But now that I'm getting a little better at this stuff I kinda want to do the 40 again, at least pieces of it.

What's a good way to sand down that fisheye on the fender?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
On 2nd shift tonight I bolted up the inner fenders, then proceeded to bolt junk to them like the coil & battery tray. I also bolted all the stuff I took off the firewall back onto it. So I should be able to move the 60 under its own power again. I'm going to need the garage for other activities later this week so that had to happen. Also that gets the inner fenders off the floor and out of the way, plus now I just have to deal with painting from the A pillars on back. Tomorrow I hope to get the doors off & the rest of the body sanded, then either paint the body or paint the doors. I still need to take the rear hatch off and prep the inside, and I haven't even touched the tailgate yet, so still a bit of work to do on painting. I think the push needs to be on the body though, while I have the big booth set up, figure all that other stuff I could spray in the corner piecemeal.

Still pretty happy with how everything is looking... though that front cross member over the radiator is going to bug me if I don't paint it. It doesn't come off easily though, it's integral to the whole deal that the headlights and radiator bolt to (and through) so it would be a big project to pull that off the truck. I might try to mask it off though and just shoot the top of it.

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I received an anonomous tip this morning that my coil bracket needs to be well grounded, or I may have starting issues. Seeing as it's bolted to a freshly painted fender, I added a small ground wire from the bracket to the battery - terminal.

IMG_2566.jpg

I am wondering if that may have been the culprit to my intermittent starting issues before... about 10% of the time the 60 won't start, it just clicks, very similar to when you need to replace the starter contacts. I replaced the contacts though, only to experience the same behavoir, it wasn't until I added a second ground to the fender that performance improved. You can see that fender ground sticking up in the air in the pic above. Starting has still not been 100% though, so maybe the addition of this coil ground will put me over the top. let's hope. After I double checked stuff was out of the fan, I fired the 60 up without issue.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Looking good Tim! So did you scrape out those seams under the fenders and re seal? And if so, what did you use?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Oh yeah I chased a no spark issue with the 40 that has the same coil/ignition setup as your 60 to that same ground when I got done assembling it

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Looking good Tim! So did you scrape out those seams under the fenders and re seal? And if so, what did you use?
Yeah I scraped off all the excess, sanded that whole area with 220 then washed it down. It got hit with the blue when I did the front cowl, so everything is nice and clean and grippy now... I found seam sealer at Auto Zone, it's in a caulk tube so tomorrow I'm going to go over all of those cracks, and also hit the rain gutters with the new seam sealer. Once that dries the plan is to paint the body- I took all the doors off today, got the outsides sanded first, still need to sand all the door jams and mask the rest of the body. But my hope is to paint the body tomorrow, then get at least one good round of painting done on Friday on doors. I figure if I can get the body done before it gets cold this weekend then I can start bolting the painted stuff back on, get the windshield back in, start on the interior, lots of stuff to do while I wait for it to warm up again.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So the plan today is to paint twice... started the day by working down the fisheye from that one fender, then prepping the back doors, rear hatch, and a few random engine parts. I also taped off that front cross member on the truck. My plan is to spray that first, outside the garage, then close the door and hope it doesn't get too windy. We'll see what happens.

IMG_2571.jpg
IMG_2573.jpg
IMG_2574.jpg
IMG_2575.jpg