Mystery Tundra Front End Pop Sound

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I've got a mystery noise after replacing the front shocks on the 2010 Tundra. Like a metal on metal 'pop' sound. It's the loudest when backing into a parking space while turning. Just one initial pop noise only. It's got to be either the front sway bar connection at the lower control arm or the upper or lower shock mounts. All components were installed correctly and to proper torque. I'm going to disconnect the front sway bar mounting bolts and let the bar hang loose to see if that is the culprit. I guess it could be the rear sway bar that I recently installed but the noise sure sounds like it's coming from the front.
Any other ideas or experiences with this type of sound?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I had a pop that i couldn't find for quite a while on the 80. Turns out one of the bolts on the sway bar bracket was about a half-turn loose.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I'll retighten those bolts again...that's got to be it. Definitely a shifting metal on metal noise.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
A couple of additional thoughts.

On common source of grinding or scraping noise is the steering stops. On a Tacoma it's these:
tacomasteeringstop.jpg
A wipe of grease on them helps immensely. It'll make horrible noise with the steering at full lock going over bumps.

Another thing to watch is if the coil-over lower mount has an offset make sure it's facing the right way. You might need to rotate the shock 180° to clear a CV axle or steering rod maybe. This is highly dependent on which shocks you have, though.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Dave. My first thought was the steering stops and determined that was not it. I will however smear some grease on there for good measure.

I'll check the lower mount off-set comment. I used the same original coil and only replaced the shocks with Bilstein's. I did notice the top shock/coil mount plate had an "out" arrow stamped on it. I positioned the plate out per the arrow.

Something is definitely shifting around. There is a very faint noise on slight turns too. I'll check those sway bar bolts tonight. Betcha a donut that is the culprit.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Update: the noise was from the lower control arm bushings. I busted loose the seized alignment bolts a couple weeks ago prior to my alignment appointment. Likely did in the original bushings at that point.
Surprisingly, buying the entire OEM lower control arm with bushings and LBJs already installed is more cost effective and much less of a PITA than replacing individual parts. New arms show up tomorrow.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Correction: the dang alignment shop did not properly torque the caster nut and the bushing was shifting in the arm. That was the issue. All good though, I’ll feel better knowing I’ve got all new OEM bushings and LBJ’s anyway. I’m chalking this up as a good PM measure.