Mystery Ranch Pack accessories

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been hunting with a Mystery Ranch “longbow” pack now for a few year and really like it. It is modest in size for my dayhunting while capable of packing out pretty serious meat loads. My only pack out to date with it was two rear bull quarters at once. It was a short hike but the pack stabilized the load well.

For this season I picked up some of the accessory items:

Blaze Stick-It
Quick Draw Rifle Sling
Quick Draw Bino Harness
Quick Draw GPS Holster

https://www.mysteryranch.com/Accessories/Hunting-Accessories

The stick-it should make my pack legal or at least close enough to prevent any real hassel by the CPW. I’m not really sold on the attachment system. The bino harness and rifle sling seem to work as advertised and integrate with the pack OK. Not sure where I want to attach the GPS yet.

Until the season gets here and can really use the stuff I won’t know how well they work. But everything leads me to believe I’ll be happy with them.

Attachments

• 444291EB-F329-4172-929B-F2E617E3A763.jpeg
    444291EB-F329-4172-929B-F2E617E3A763.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 638
  • 5B658861-47F1-450C-B36B-5118C6274F42.jpeg
    5B658861-47F1-450C-B36B-5118C6274F42.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 876
  • 9825F1C9-3CCB-4FC2-B4CE-5B27090BCF2B.jpeg
    9825F1C9-3CCB-4FC2-B4CE-5B27090BCF2B.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 469

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I had a rifle scabbard for my pack and ended up selling it. It seemed like every time I wanted to take a break from hiking and sit on a log or something it was totally in the way. The way yours holds your rifle might be better, but the only time you will use it is when the sun is not up :)

I like that blaze orange attachment, though! I always have to rig up an extra cheepo blaze vest on my pack. works, but is totally ghetto!!!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've simply strapped my rifle on the pack using the side compression straps in the past. While that works fine obviously you can't access it quick enough for that surprise shot. This system is supposed to be much quicker. Getting the stock out of that rear hook is going to take some practice. Otherwise it may do the trick.

They offer blaze rain covers in a couple sizes for packs too. I tried the Cabela's blaze rain cover out but it was sized more as a bivy sack than a pack cover.

I just wish someone would offer things in blaze to begin with. Like packs, rain gear etc... why must us rifle hunters always cover ourselves and gear in cheap blaze vests or handkerchiefs?

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I like that day pack. But wow its 615.00 from here:
https://rampartcorp.com/products/mystery-ranch-longbow-large-coyote?variant=20096578759

That model would be too large for me because I have to pack it in with my main pack the first day with a week works of gear and food.

I never strap my rifle to my pack personally.

I'm a believer of having a fair amount of gear with me during a my hunt and being able to pack out a nice size bag of meat and antlers at any time. You never know how long you will be out there and what the day will bring.

I like this one myself. I may get it. It would be a nice upgrade for me. Thanks for sharing that brand.
https://www.mysteryranch.com/scapegoat-25-pack?quantity=1&color=Desolve Bare

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
From memory I paid about $450? For my longbow. That site might be charging a premium for the pack as it’s no longer made and dates back to when the packs were made in USA.

This is the new version of what I have. https://www.mysteryranch.com/pintler-pack

For your situation Scott you could buy one of their larger packs and just the bag part of a smaller pack and swap them in and out on the same frame. That could give you the load capacity for hauling without having to carry the big pack while hunting. Granted that would make for a large investment.

I also have that smaller Scapegoat 25 pack too It’s my general day hiking pack. I like it but it wouldn’t make a good hunting pack if you needed to haul meet. It’s great for scouting missions. It does carry weight much better than most packs that size. I just don’t know how you’d get an elk quarter in or attached to it. Maybe one boned out inside?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I can hit the scratch and dent sale as they make them here in Bozeman. I plan on checking it out when it happens. Let me know if I can keep an eye out for you. It's pricey but super high quality stuff.

baja1d

Hard Core 4+

baja1d

Hard Core 4+

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear off of Kipling and I70 is a Mystery Ranch dealer. I paid MSRP for my Metcalf and quick draw sling from them.

I like the quick draw. It took really studying the chest strap to get it adjusted right, though. There's a lot happening across your chest of you wear a bino harness too.

I've owned lots of frame packs over the years and will never, ever look back. Mystery Ranch is so far ahead of the game in pack tech it's not worth looking elsewhere, IMO.

Uggh can't wait to get back at it! Spring turkey coming up!!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Kifaru Packs are also worth looking at from what I’ve heard. No personal experience. But they make Mystery Ranch look affordable in price.

http://kifaru.net/

I guess I should report back as I never did post hunting. The blaze shove it did great to make me visible. Also was a nice place to shove my raingear as it was constantly on and off last season. I like the bino harness but didn’t always wear it in conjunction to the larger pack. I often packed it in and put it on upon arrival to my hunting spots. I have mixed feelings on the quick draw sling. While it worked OK, I came away disappointed. After a couple of days I got it adjusted better but it just never really impressed me. I’ll continue to use it until something else catches my eye.