• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

My turn: Emissions

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Alrighty, looking for some input here as id like to get this fixed.
'97 lx450, 279k

Anyways. I went for my first test on 3/25 (on 35's) at the Sheridan location failed CO. (21.3064/15.00) I had a midcat exhaust leak and I forgot to remove the huddexpo egr delete. I didnt fail for the egr being deleted, but im sure that having it turned off didnt help reduce my emissions number.

I got the egr system turned back on(its a functional system), did an oil change, fixed my exhaust leak, added 2-bottles of heet in the fuel.

--->Retested this morning at the Dacono station(on265/70/16's--Broomfield wouldnt run the 35's), as I figured a good hard run up 25 from 36 would help get everything nice and hot.
>>>Failed. This time I also failed for the gas cap even though it passed 20 days ago. wtf I dont believe that for a second and what annoys me the most.

The issues I fixed definitely helped to reduce my CO from 21 down to 17.. but of course still over the limit.

now with the mileage the cat does almost feel like the culprit. But, my NOx went from 2.0966 to 0.9931. I know when failing for NOx its 99% of the time due to a bad cat...going into todays test i damn near expected the number to rise up and fail. but it dropped to a pretty respectable number, which as thrown me for a loop.

Any thoughts? head gasket, cap, plugs, wires, were all done about 40k miles ago. Shes a healthy running and leak free engine.
IMG_9709.jpg
IMG_9711.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
CO means incomplete combustion. Not enough air or spark. 40k miles seems a long time on plugs, cap, and rotor, and air filter. Pretty easy change. How is your timing? Perhaps advancing a touch could help with CO, but double-check the FSM on that one. The FSM has suggestions for different types of emissions failures.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Are you throwing any codes? If your not throwing any codes request to have them check the OBDII instead of running it on rollers.

How old are your O2 sensors? Check timing and make sure your at 3 degrees BTDC.

Run two bottles orlf red heat next time in the gas tank before going.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
CO means incomplete combustion. Not enough air or spark. 40k miles seems a long time on plugs, cap, and rotor, and air filter. Pretty easy change. How is your timing? Perhaps advancing a touch could help with CO, but double-check the FSM on that one. The FSM has suggestions for different types of emissions failures.
I suppose plugs n filter are easy cheap enough to change it wouldn’t hurt. Timing should be set to fsm but I haven’t checked it since then. I’ll definitely get the light in there to check.

Are you throwing any codes? If your not throwing any codes request to have them check the OBDII instead of running it on rollers.

How old are your O2 sensors? Check timing and make sure your at 3 degrees BTDC.

Run two bottles orlf red heat next time in the gas tank before going.
Zero codes
and they definitely will not run obd2 scan only anymore. 3 different stations all saying the same thing, it’s too old, gotta go in the rollers and exceptions for covid are over. 🤬

Upstream o2 was replaced 65k miles ago, downstream is unknown. Maybe the leak between the cats fouled the o2 sensor enough that it’s misreading but not throwing any codes? I never even had a code when I had the leak.

I put two bottles of the yellow heet in the tank prior to leaving for the test. But not the red. I wasn’t sure which one to try.

I’ll definitely need to look into the timing asap.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I suppose plugs n filter are easy cheap enough to change it wouldn’t hurt. Timing should be set to fsm but I haven’t checked it since then. I’ll definitely get the light in there to check.

Zero codes
and they definitely will not run obd2 scan only anymore. 3 different stations all saying the same thing, it’s too old, gotta go in the rollers and exceptions for covid are over. 🤬

Upstream o2 was replaced 65k miles ago, downstream is unknown. Maybe the leak between the cats fouled the o2 sensor enough that it’s misreading but not throwing any codes? I never even had a code when I had the leak.

I put two bottles of the yellow heet in the tank prior to leaving for the test. But not the red. I wasn’t sure which one to try.

I’ll definitely need to look into the timing asap.
My truck was running like crap and I ended up having to replace both O2s. I was throwing code 26 which on OBDI's is rich O2.

I replaced mine about 7 or 8 years ago when I replaced my exhaust from the manifold back. I don't think they last two long in these trucks but who knows.

That's stupid that they won't just check the OBDII. What's the point of it then?

I have a set emissions rollers if you need them? I'm in the Thornton area.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
My truck was running like crap and I ended up having to replace both O2s. I was throwing code 26 which on OBDI's is rich O2.

I replaced mine about 7 or 8 years ago when I replaced my exhaust from the manifold back. I don't think they last two long in these trucks but who knows.

That's stupid that they won't just check the OBDII. What's the point of it then?

I have a set emissions rollers if you need them? I'm in the Thornton area.
Thanks for the offer on the rollers, I picked up a set of Tacoma tires for the original rims just for this excitement. So I’m good there.

This morning I decided I’d order up a new cat, spark plugs, o2 sensors. Found a site to ship me a magnaflow cat for $503…which saves me the headache or orchestrating a trip to Wyoming. Fingers crossed it arrives. I got shipping confirmation so we’ll see. Once I get all that jazz installed I’m going to check timing and reset the ECU.

Today I decided to work on the spare set of radius arms and this time install Toyota bushings. Beck arnleys we’re dead within 5k miles of installing them.
30D88295-0769-4B31-9D3F-51558D21877B.jpeg

RDub

We’re you able to find a Magnaflow CARB certified cat for $503?

RDub

Ah. Thanks. I thought Colorado now requires all replacement cats be CARB certified. I want to be wrong, I need a new one for my 60. Please enlighten me on this.

RDub

Just researched it. And it sucks. So since sometime in 2021 all replacement cats need to be either OEM or if aftermarket CARB certified.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Just researched it. And it sucks. So since sometime in 2021 all replacement cats need to be either OEM or if aftermarket CARB certified.
Correct…but that’s replacement cats sold here in CO. You can still move here from another state and pass. So you can go to another state, purchase your replacement, install and go from there. And if need be put a bunch of mud and oil on it to look not brand new.

It’s kinda like how 30rnd mags are illegal to buy here…but not illegal to own nor illegal to buy parts kits for which is why you can find them in the shelves at gun shops. When you get to the register they disassemble it for you. you have just purchased parts and not a 30rnd mag.

RDub

Well that sounds much better. Let us know how it goes when you pass. Like I mentioned, I need one for my 60 sometime this calendar year.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Yes illegal to sell or install non-CARB cats for a customer but installing them yourself is still legal. Or at least a grey area. And yes non-CARB cats still pass emissions.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Would have thought you would not be able to have a non-CARB cat shipped to a CO address. But if you get that Federal cat then that’s a good deal. I’m not sure you need it though since your NOx is fine.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Would have thought you would not be able to have a non-CARB cat shipped to a CO address. But if you get that Federal cat then that’s a good deal. I’m not sure you need it though since your NOx is fine.
I’m a bit surprised as well, but it hasn’t been delivered yet so we’ll see. I feel the same way, I don’t think I need it based on nox but going down the emissions rabbit hole I’ve read that when reducing CO, nox goes up. Which did happen in my case so who knows.

Maybe once the radius arms with new bushings are installed they’ll have an easier time driving a make for a more consistent test? Idk. 🤷‍♂️

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Thats a random drop shipping site someone created that uses an existing distribution network and warehouse system as "their inventory". It's pretty easy to do and I'm sure the creator/owner is just unaware/doesn't care of our state requirements.