My 4Runner is on the road!!!!!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Well, with Bill's help and some of my other friends I was able to drive the truck for real for the first time yesterday. Boy is she tall!!! I want to lower her some which i will do this weekend. The ride is very smooth and predictable for such a tall beast. I drove it around yesterday and liked the overall feel, there is still a lot of fine tuning to do but all in all I am very satisfied.

With the 5.29's and 37's under it the speedo is back to normal but I do not think she will ever see 80 MPH again ;) Once the suspension settles I will be able to give a true report on how well, I hope, she handles of and on the road.

I will post some pictures later tonight, been to busy working on her to take some.

Thanks again to all that helped me with the build and gave me advice along the way. Some I used some I did not but this is a culmination of all the advice given over the last three months. :cheers:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Nice job, and it's only wednesday. You've got almost 2 weeks to debug before Moab, not that you'll have to. What trails you running?

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Nice job, and it's only wednesday. You've got almost 2 weeks to debug before Moab, not that you'll have to. What trails you running?

Thanks I feel much better now. There are some bugs to work out, one being the height and the other a clunk in the rear when hard braking and playing with the throtle.

I made the mistake of singing up for some tough trails thinking I would have plenty of time to get used to the truck and settle the springs. I have Hells Revenge, Poison Spyder and Pritchett Canyon. We'll see what happens, I may bail on Pritchett depending on what I hear from others. I have run it several times before, last time being 1998 CM, but have heard that it is tougher now.

I hope to have all the kinks worked out before Moab and be problem free for the week :thumb: I hope.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Congrats Tom! I'm sure it is a great feeling getting to this point with some time left to spare :)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
You got a couple warm ups before Pritchett. Besides you got 37's no more trails rated less than 4 for you time to play with the big boys.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
You got a couple warm ups before Pritchett. Besides you got 37's no more trails rated less than 4 for you time to play with the big boys.

That's scary, me with the big boys........We'll see how things go on the first two trips. I am hoping to get a pre-run in on Wednesday afternoon. Plan is to get there early ehough to check in and have the truck checked. Then take an easy run with some other folks to warm up to the truck.

Anybody up for a pre-run on Wednesday afternoon???

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That's scary, me with the big boys........We'll see how things go on the first two trips. I am hoping to get a pre-run in on Wednesday afternoon. Plan is to get there early ehough to check in and have the truck checked. Then take an easy run with some other folks to warm up to the truck.

I have to prerun cliff hanger.....that might be perfect to check the stability of the new rig!:eek: ;)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Hell yes. I'm not getting in until Tuesday p.m. A pre-run on Wednesday sounds like a plan. I've never run Cliff Hanger, either.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Cliff hanger is a hoot. Don't let 'em scare ya, Tom, you'll do just fine.\

(I keep saying that...):confused:

:hill:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have to prerun cliff hanger.....that might be perfect to check the stability of the new rig!:eek: ;)

Uncle Ben,

That sounds good, unfortunatly I can not commit to a time as of yet. I plan on towing the truck behind mine with a tow bar but after looking at it the tow bar sits to high and has an extreme angle to it when attached to the truck (with the hitch mounted upside down) I know a no no.

So I may have to get a trailer to pull it that will slow me down more. We plan on leaving between 5-6 in the morning so arrival should be about 6 hours later. If that works for you let me know and I am in.

How long is the run?

PS I'll do just fine............just fine..........I keep telling myself that :blah:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like we have a few people up for a pre run.