• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

MX/Trail/Run About Bike Advice - Honda CRF 250 RX

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Been eyeing smaller enduro/dirt bikes for an up coming opportunity to participate in an event. But, I would also like for it to fill a couple of other roles versus just being a single purpose dirt bike. I would need it to be able to handle trails and desert riding both day and night. Light weight enough to carryon a hitch carrier. light weight enough to pickup when layed down. Be able to carry two people for river portage runs. Can be licensed or modified to be licensed for riding on the roads. Must be reliable. I'm currently read a ton of reviews on all of the Honda 250 options (450 seems a bit much for my needs and skill level) and while the RX is not the most street friend bike it seems to have the greatest potential. Would love to hear thoughts, experiences and suggestions! Thanks!

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I’m a 2-stroke guy so I’ll add my thoughts. If you want a lightweight reliable off-road machine that is capable of being street legal, then I would recommend a KTM 250 or 300 XC-W.
FWIW I do think the Honda bikes are very good also. Just not as lightweight. Also, 4-stroke bikes are more mechanically complex.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Not sure which bikes have rear foot pegs for a second rider, but Honda 250 or 450 or KTM 250 4t, 350, or 450 would be my go-tos. Not a fan of 2t for street riding.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
We did 200 miles of dirt road and trail this weekend in Moab. I did it all on my 300 2 stroke. Friend borrowed my wife’s crf230. I would have wanted the crf for most of it except the technical or fast parts. They both go about 60-65 comfortably but the 2 stroke will do 90 if needed and is more buzzy. The smaller 4 strokes are slow but dead reliable and reasonably light. Don’t plan on any speed over 65 for any length of time on one. 55 - 60 all day long tho. We were seeing 45-50mpg on the crf. I get 25-45 on the 300 varies wildly with my level of enthusiasm.

anything 4 stroke that’s under 300cc or so is gonna be work above say 10k feet. Power is just not there. That being said I’ve rallied the crf up to 12.5 but it involved full throttle no lift/no clutch shifts the whole way.

I’d look at the bikes Matt mentioned. New Honda’s seem reasonably priced tho.