MtnTrucker and Timmbuck2 locker swap

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Thanks to Chris, Randy, Timm and Ige for inviting others to this event:thumb:. Here are some pictures from the locker swap yesterday. Both trucks were already locked after the switch Randy now has 4.88 gearing and an ARB air locker up front.

The day ended up being a long one. We got into the shop and started about 10:00 and were just to the point of bringing Timm's pig down from the left just before 7:00 pm.

The group did accomplish getting the lockers swapped over, but ran into parts issues with upgrading Chris's rear locker.

This first shot is from early on and you can see Randy and Timm under their trucks draining the oil form the rear differentials.
w_080.jpg

Air tools and jack stands are very nice because you get plenty of room to work. Here you can see the difference in height as the rear diff cover is removed.
w_081.jpg

w_089.jpg

In this photo Randy is removing a bolt so that the insides of the lockrite can be revealed.
w_086.jpg

Ige was there all throughout to give some guidance at teach a few things. Here she is demonstrating the steps to remove the springs from the locker.
w_087.jpg

Cleanliness of the mating surfaces is very important. Here is Chris cleaning gasket residue.
w_092.jpg

Randy is using a wire brush to clean residue.
w_097.jpg

On Randy's front diff, the gasket material was really tough to get cleaned off. Here he is scraping it away.
w_107.jpg

Both rear diffs eventually got to the place they were just waiting for their new internals.
w_094.jpg

w_095.jpg

This is a shot of the lockrite internal parts going back into place on Randy's rear.
w_101.jpg

Here Chris is giving Randy a hand with the nuts on the third member. These third members are heavy and an extra set of hands comes in handy.
w_099.jpg

Ige is guiding Timm through the process of putting his lockrite internals back into place.
w_105.jpg

Randy setting the torque on the front.
w_108.jpg

Couple of interesting shots, first is the grease in one of Randy's knuckles.
w_102.jpg

Second is a picture of side and spider gears.
w_103.jpg

While the day was much longer that I had expected. I appreciate the opportunity to see something new.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Thank you SO much Ricardo...you did a lot more than take pics. You helped Randy all day and singlehandedly put my driver's side front knuckle completely back together. If you had not helped so much I think we might still be there. And super thanks to Ige for teaching us old (and older) dogs some new tricks. And major major thanks to Perry and Terry Autobody :perry & Terry Auto Body, Inc
1612 Teller Street, Lakewood, Colorado 80214
http://www.perryandterryautobody.com/

Not only did they open up their shop to two old rusty trucks (ok, mine is rusty, Randy's is nice!) but they bought us Pizza and helped clean up. THANKS!!!!!!

Now I just need to fix the buggered rear diff stud that is causing me to leak gear oil like crazy and figure out why my front drive shaft seized up so much I could not pull it out, even with my full (considerable) body weight yanking on it with a chain...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I learned a ton from Ige...makes me realize how little I really know...but was nice to also pass on some info that I *do* know. :) oh, and did you know if you have the air ratchet on "righty tighty" you will snap off those little bolts holding the hub on?!??!

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the story and pics Ricardo. Looks like a productive day.

Timm - with little ones under your roof, how do you get so much time to wrench? You must have an agreeable wife and family.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for the story and pics Ricardo. Looks like a productive day.

Timm - with little ones under your roof, how do you get so much time to wrench? You must have an agreeable wife and family.

my Mom is in town...and I said I would only be a few hours....yes, I am in trouble...and so is Ricardo! :hill:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Looks like you got a bunch done. Nice job. I'd like to make a friendly reminder to everyone else who reads this to wear eye protection. Especially when doing things like using a drill and wire brush. (When did I turn into lame safety guy?, Sorry)