Mosquito Pass report, rockslide?

Had the whole family (4 daughters) along as we tried to do Mosquito pass from the Leadville side today.

At 7.6 miles, right before the New London Mine (I think) we ran into a rockslide that looked like it was recent.

I saw that Bruiser had been up there recently, I'm guessing it wasn't there?

I've seen lots of stock vehicles on YouTube do the trail, so I think its not a permanent part of the trail.

You can see in the one pic my wife surveying the situation, and she wanted to stack rocks to try to make it across, but considering we were alone, and had the kids along, I decided to put the ego away and turn around. It was the half way point anyway.

I probably would've tried it if we had other vehicles to help extricate. As you know who have been there, there isn't much to winch from.

High lift and big tires, probably could've made it.

If this is a recent slide, and not just an overestimation by a flatlander, should it be reported to the forest service?

Looking forward to more wheeling in the area this week.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• headingup.jpg
    headingup.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 407
  • pass.jpg
    pass.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 411
  • boulders.jpg
    boulders.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 417

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Dang... Now only 80 series Land Cruisers can get through :)

Yep, that was not there when I went through a few weeks ago.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Your truck looks really cool - is that a vinyl wrap? Good call on turning it around at that point. A fun day quickly goes south when something breaks or becomes too stuck to get out on your own!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah that's new, kinda neat.

Your truck looks really cool - is that a vinyl wrap? Good call on turning it around at that point. A fun day quickly goes south when something breaks or becomes too stuck to get out on your own!

Thanks all - REALLY wanted to try to get around the uphill side, but in this situation I knew better than to try.

Stock vehicles won't be getting by anymore. I taped a note to the "Four Wheel Drive Vehicles Only" on the West end, but that won't last long.

Wrap - no, actually its Plasti Dip. Have done it to a few vehicles and if done right, it works really well. Good protection from brush too.

Any new surprises on Red/White Mountain (is that big rock still there coming down June Creek making you get REALLY close to the edge?) or wearyman/mcallister gulch that anyone knows about?

John

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
It was not there September 1. While we were at the New London Mine we saw some small rocks falling. Even small rocks hurt a lot.

Bushducks had no updates since 9/1. I sent them an update.
http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopenform.htm

It would be good to tell the Forest Service. Do you think it can be cleared without heavy equipment?

Well, the two biggest boulders which are smack in the middle of the trail were a good 3-4' high and wide and a little longer.

I'm thinking something big will need to move those. Lets say you get a daisy chain of rigs with a monster winch on the first one, your only vector of force is up trail or down, you're not going to be able to move laterally. They need a push off downhill.

Never called the forest service before, is it specific for each one? Not even sure which one it is down there.....I'm happy to though.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Hey, could be a new rock crawling route!!

Reported to Leadville FS.

When I told the operator I wanted to make a report about the trail conditions she interrupted me and said "its all clear!" ;)

Sent her a pic too.