Moab Turkey Day - lessons learned

subzali

Hard Core 4+
1. Kane Creek was fun.
2. Allen head drain plugs are going on soon. (I lost t-case oil on the drive back from Kane Creek)
3. Skid plate is going to be beefed up.
4. Just because I have a winch doesn't give me a right to be on trails I shouldn't be on (broke my rear pinion on Cliffhanger, went down the entrance, turned around and tried to get back out, so was right by the road).
5. Dual batteries are coming soon (battery died while winching but was by then close enough to strap).
6. Sometimes one extra truck isn't enough (needed two to yank the strap once my winch died).
7. Bigger tires recommended (I didn't break because of throttle usage, I broke because I got a little off on my line so when I backed off the ledge I landed on my pinion).
8. Land Cruisers are great! We were able to swap 3rd members in 6 hours and drive home in 2wd, whereas a Y**P would have needed a tow truck and needed the gears reset etc. (at least on my buddies D44 setup).

Still kinda put a hamper in the weekend, but a good learning experience nonetheless. Now I have to consider whether:

a) I am ready to go down the slippery slope of bigger and (maybe) better, or:

b) keep what I have and stay on trails that my rig can handle. And:
b.1) if I do that, do I buy a beater 40 for the harder trails that I can do some mods on? What I would need is something with a frame, body, 2F, no axles (or set up for spring over and I can adjust later), no tranny or t-case.

Time to start thinking...I think I need to be in a house for any of this to really start happening so it's not anytime soon, but I'm going to work out a budget and see what I come up with...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
2. Allen head drain plugs are going on soon. (I lost t-case oil on the drive back from Kane Creek)
That is no guarantee (look at the Chinaman's trip report for a comparo), but they do help. Scott at Burt is gonna order a few, since I showed up there Saturday and cleaned them out, and recommended they were the hot setup and they should stock them!

Just build your 40 a bit. You should be able to handle Cliffhanger and 90% of the trails out there in your Yeepcrusher.

isotel

That Climb Killed my Drive shaft one year, i ended up re tubing it in town and kept wheeling. i got my revenge last year :D
Where you climbing the Left side, or the right side?
DSCN0729.jpg

glad you got it up and running, and got home!

i would just look at beefing up your current truck a little bit I would not hesitate to take a rig similar to yours on Cliffhanger, maybe go a bit bigger with the tires first!

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I was going to go up the leftish side, but was trying to get up the low spot in the middle.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Cliffhanger took out my Long last year and I was on the flats heading home from our lunch spot.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Start with some larger tires and see how that does. If you do OK great if not look at some added gearing and skid protection.

Moab? More like Snoab!

We were there Thursday, planned to wheel Friday, but woke up to 4 inches of snow! We ended up heading South and wheeling through Canyonlands.

Glad you had fun! Build your 40! Rock rigs are fun.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah now it's twice I've been snowed out of riding Porcupine Rim - we went to Arches so it was okay.

Here's some pictures from before the breakage - on Kane Creek, which was a sweet sweet trail - kinda long though.

Attachments

• HPIM3029.jpg
    HPIM3029.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 448
  • HPIM3030.jpg
    HPIM3030.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,807
  • HPIM3031.jpg
    HPIM3031.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3,644
  • HPIM3033.jpg
    HPIM3033.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 324
  • HPIM3037.jpg
    HPIM3037.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 324

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Yea - I ran Kane Creek about 3 weeks ago for the first time - very fun trail - a different taste of Moab. Not the best trail for my LWB....
I think we were on the trail for about 10 hours (probably 1/3 of that just trying to climb all the rigs out of the canyon). MasterBlake in his stock Tacoma had no troubles though...:cool: