• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Minnesota 40

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Leak down tester i ordered didn't show yet, but I got some warm compression numbers and was able to take it for a longer drive today. Didn`t overheat and some of the coolant mess was actually from the overflow tube being loose. Waterpump is still leaking, I'm thinking po didn't use fipg and its a crappy made in China part. New, made in Japan part ordered.

Compression numbers are pretty sad:

Weird thing is #6 has the highest number but the plugs looked like this:

(6 is on the left)

i-LMm488F-M.jpg

If its burning oil on 6, would think the compression numbers would be lower, not higher?

I`ll have the leak down tester in hand this week, so more investigating to come, but those low compression numbers make me think I should probably start looking for a builder engine. PO has one I can pick up he said, I also have a line on a low mileage 60 with rotten frame, so that could be a possibility too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Nothing wrong with those numbers.

If you still lived in Evergreen...

Oil in the chamber will help seal the rings and a takes up a little bit of space, so it actually makes sense to me that the one with the oily plug will have slightly higher compression. It could also just be coincidence, it's not *that* much higher after all.

That they are consistent across the board is also IMO encouraging. When you have one or a couple that are a lot different than the rest it's bad. I think Toyota gives an acceptable range, something like +/- 10% from highest to lowest. If my memory's right then you're at something like a 5% spread.

This could just indicate she's tired is all, might still be possible to rebuild this block and head if you need.

Last edited:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Valve stem seals are perhaps not in perfect shape? That might explain oil on the plugs with decent compression.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I think I'm not too worried about those compression numbers especially if they are even, it starts fine, runs fine, and has decent power. maybe a little low sure, but even across the board. you caa always try putting a bit of oil in each cylinder that tells you ring condition.

It will leak down past the rings sure.. but that test will also tell you if it has headgasket or valve issues.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hopefully will have time to drive it this weekend and get it warmed up and do the leak down test. New tool has arrived. If its just a top end issue, that would be great.

When I got home from work today I pulled it out of the garage. Fired right up, idled great and no smoke. So maybe the smoke I had previously after the carb rebuild and tune up was just a bunch of accumulated crap burning out? I hope so.

I spent some more time going through the wiring trying to chase out the gremlins. Terry sent me a new "H" switch for my heater (thanks terry!). Installed that and fiddled around with the dome light and switch, got it working!

Still grimey, but i`m not in cleaning mode yet, just trying get things working! ;)

All knobs in place again

i-gJ6SXQm-M.jpg

Dome light works! (I`ll replace headliner eventually) :hill:

i-MMRZG3T-M.jpg

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So the 40 must have known i was bummed out by the oily plug and sad compression numbers, so it offered me a gift.

When I pulled it out of the garage this afternoon, the sun was shining and it was 70 degrees out. I started poking around under the dash to get that dome light working. I noticed that the plug for the work light was up under the dash. I`m used to seeing them in the glove box, must be a difference in early 40`s. Anyway, i open the glove box to see if there's a plug in there too. The sun is shining at just the right angle to illuminate the depths of the glove box. No plug, but I see a couple of pieces of black plastic in the corner among some other odd bits. It's the missing plastic t handle for the seat! :giggle:

Like said, I haven't really cleaned this thing out.

I start probing around in there, and in the recesses I found more treasures:

i-8XwPj9m-M.jpg

With each one I fished out, I was like "no fckn way!"

So weird, because thought I had gone through the glove box after bringing it home, but the 40 must have held some back.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I had just posted in the classifieds looking for the clips that hold the lids on the rear heater. Found 2 under the seats and a third in the glove box!

i-72VP4gS-M.jpg

Here`s that missing gas cap cover

i-HLX5PCj-M.jpg

Can't believe this plastic cover was hidden in there, and not broken!

i-nz9kbNg-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
That’s not a dome light
That is a “lamp assy, rooms”
81240-90300
Mike D is fond of them.
Nice work Martin!

😁

Thats awesome. What you guys did on that spring green 69 is an inspiration.

The "lamp assy, rooms" looks different in mine. Its above the roof weatherstripping vs attached to the B pillar. Must be a weird 69 change?

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Nice. I just replaced one of my door regulators and then found the original one stuck down by the gas tank. Didnt find a whole lot in the 68’ in the glove box beside mouse nests. Did find a new filter for the glass bowl fuel filter though which was nice.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Nice. I just replaced one of my door regulators and then found the original one stuck down by the gas tank. Didnt find a whole lot in the 68’ in the glove box beside mouse nests. Did find a new filter for the glass bowl fuel filter though which was nice.
Thats cool, lots of places for parts and stuff to hide. I haven`t pulled the seats yet, maybe this weekend. I'll pull the tank up then and check condition underneath, look for more treasures. Probably just more sand, and hopefully no rot!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
so awesome to see you digging into a 40 again Martin, been too long! Curious what town in northern Minnesota that was in? only because I was born up there...

Trying to think if what parts I could give you- do you have the bottle jack? I've got an extra yellow one... we need @treerootCO to tell us which one is period correct though.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
so awesome to see you digging into a 40 again Martin, been too long! Curious what town in northern Minnesota that was in? only because I was born up there...

Trying to think if what parts I could give you- do you have the bottle jack? I've got an extra yellow one... we need @treerootCO to tell us which one is period correct though.
Thanks Tim, yeah definitely too long. I feel almost complete again. Now if only I could figure out a way to be in the mountains again! ;)

So this one was out in the woods at a cabin on a lake between Mille Lacs and Leech lake. Kind of East of Brainerd.

It has the jack too! Looks original?

i-5jZCDjd-M.jpg

i-xLRTmxt-M.jpg

Has the crank, still in the clips. The aftermarket rollbar was dealer installed according to po. Had some install instructions with the original manuals. I've got new SOR upholstery that will go in soon.
i-2tt7NxG-M.jpg

I like how this rollbar works with the original long jumpseats. The foam is pretty dry rotted, but good shape otherwise.
i-SnrBHNH-M.jpg

No shoulder belts, just lap belts. These must be a dealer install too. They look old enough to be original, but they're not toyota.
i-xSjpPTJ-L.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I have not seen the rollbar that works with the long seats. Mine definitely won’t. I’m actually trying to figure out what to do about my roll bar and seats fighting with each other?

Your compression numbers dont seem to bad to me.

looking so good

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I have not seen the rollbar that works with the long seats. Mine definitely won’t. I’m actually trying to figure out what to do about my roll bar and seats fighting with each other?

Your compression numbers dont seem to bad to me.

looking so good
In my 73, I put in the best top fold and tumble seat ccot sells. That was a great mod. I was running a 78 rollbar, so long jump seats were out, but that seat allowed for good seat belts and could handle baby/ kid seats and was more comfortable too.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I got the old rear carpet set out. Had to unbolt those seatbelts and the rear heater. Floor looks pretty good underneath. More sand. :p: maybe a mix of Moab and Minnesota.

i-7p3SxWL-M.jpg

Yup definitely not toyota seatbelts, but old enough for dealer install. 1963 volkwagon! Looking for new seatbelts...
i-Z27BPKD-M.jpg

Kid approved.

i-L84GFfj-M.jpg

i-qDsCmcr-M.jpg

i-8tm763x-M.jpg

Holy cow, these kids grow too fast!

i-LXLwPJC-M.jpg

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Holy cow, these kids grow too fast!
I feel you on that one man. I'm teaching Jaeden how to drive now. 😲 Seems like our grocery expenses have attained exponential expansion.

The 40 is looking awesome, but the Volkswagen seatbelts have to go. :hill:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I feel you on that one man. I'm teaching Jaeden how to drive now. 😲 Seems like our grocery expenses have attained exponential expansion.

The 40 is looking awesome, but the Volkswagen seatbelts have to go. :hill:
Thats so cool and terrifying all at the same time isn't it? :giggle: I told ilsa she gets to learn to drive with the "3 on the tree". She's stoked.