Middle Fork Swan River - September 2023

Bwelker85

New-ish
Ran Middle Fork Swain trail last weekend. Was doing a day-trip solo so I intended to pick something easy but scenic. The first 7 miles were very tame, most stock jeeps could make it with ease. The last mile to the summit proved to be quite difficult due to an unexpected foot of snow. Got past the only major rock obstacles on the trail with not much trouble, even with the snow. However, once you’re past the obstacles the last 100 yards to the summit is steep with deeper snow. Got stuck twice, eventually started sliding sideways back down the hill before deciding to call it a day. In the summer time I’m sure this is an easy trail, but would not recommend anyone making the trek to the summit between now and next spring.

IMG_1902.jpeg
IMG_1899.jpeg
IMG_1898.jpeg
IMG_1925.jpeg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Ran Middle Fork Swain trail last weekend. Was doing a day-trip solo so I intended to pick something easy but scenic. The first 7 miles were very tame, most stock jeeps could make it with ease. The last mile to the summit proved to be quite difficult due to an unexpected foot of snow. Got past the only major rock obstacles on the trail with not much trouble, even with the snow. However, once you’re past the obstacles the last 100 yards to the summit is steep with deeper snow. Got stuck twice, eventually started sliding sideways back down the hill before deciding to call it a day. In the summer time I’m sure this is an easy trail, but would not recommend anyone making the trek to the summit between now and next spring.

View attachment 120689View attachment 120690View attachment 120691View attachment 120692
Fun area to explore. 👍

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I read your post thinking it was the Middle Fork of the Swan. Old eyes. Is there a Swain Middle Fork? I googled but it kept taking me to the Swan.

Bwelker85

New-ish
I found it on Trails Off-road, it’s out near Breckenridge. Confirmed it’s called Middle Fork Swan River, off Tiger Road. It connects to Red Cone.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I found it on Trails Off-road, it’s out near Breckenridge. Confirmed it’s called Middle Fork Swan River, off Tiger Road. It connects to Red Cone.
Yup, fun area to explore with a short season as you found out. 👍