• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Merus Adventure Park

nick in nebraska

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone ventured to Merus Adventure Park outside of Amarillo Tx.? In the Palo Duro Canyon. Just found it on the internet and was throwing around a trip next year.
It shows a little over 7 something hours away for me in mid Nebraska.
Is there any intrest in a trip down there? Possibly June. I know it is right after Cruise Moab.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've been to Palo Duro Canyon. In mid June 2016.

I would *not* recommend going there at that time of year. I'll just say growing up with summers in St. Louis got 'nuthing on the heat and humidity there. Kinda brutal trying to sleep. And the bugs and spiders. I rode the trails in the morning and it was nuts the amount of webs.

But it's a very neat place. If you have camper with air conditioning. And can remember to ride with your mouth closed...

My route there was US64 (two-lane) and it's a busy TX-CO trade route, lots of traffic. If you do this route don't skip on seeing Capulin Volcano and the Kiowa-Rio Blanca grasslands.

IMG_0653_mid.jpg

IMG_0659_mid.jpg

IMG_0671_mid.jpg

IMG_0666_mid.jpg

Last edited:

nick in nebraska

Rising Sun Member
I've been to Palo Duro Canyon. In mid June 2016.

I would *not* recommend going there at that time of year. I'll just say growing up with summers in St. Louis got 'nuthing on the heat and humidity there. Kinda brutal trying to sleep. And the bugs and spiders. I rode the trails in the morning and it was nuts the amount of webs.

But it's a very neat place. If you have camper with air conditioning. And can remember to ride with your mouth closed...

My route there was US64 (two-lane) and it's a busy TX-CO trade route, lots of traffic. If you do this route don't skip on seeing Capulin Volcano and the Kiowa-Rio Blanca grasslands.

View attachment 107513

View attachment 107514

View attachment 107515

View attachment 107516
Thanks. Looks awesome. So a cooler time of year. Lol

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thanks. Looks awesome. So a cooler time of year. Lol
Yeah, mid summer doesn't seem ideal as a destination, although I'd definitely stop if you're in the area no matter time of year. Don't forget to factor in I'm not used to it anymore so it may have been normal or perhaps even relatively nice, I couldn't say.

Last edited: