• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Memorial Day Weekend Run?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Just wanted to see if there was any interest.

I'm looking to run something of medium difficulty, and was thinking of a couple different places.

My first choice would be spring creek, but it still be completely snow bound. I talked with my folks, who live at 9000 feet over by Bailey, and all of the northern slopes up there are clear, even the ones above them. However, Spring Creek is also very shaded.

I've heard folks talk about Eagle Rock as being a fun trail, but that involves a drive to the springs, which, with gas costing what it does, may be too far.

Kelly flats is now open, and snow free, but again is a long drive, and the Chutes look far too hard.

Lastly is likely out, again for gasoline, would be Chinamen's. I've heard it is snow free, and i'd be game for going, if others are okay.

So, first i suppose is, can anyone go? Second would be, where would you like to go?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I saw that...figured it was easier to park at the mall. :D

I thought it might be too short of notice....No biggie. when i figure out where i'm going, i'll post up, anyone is welcome to join me.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
soccer - 4 kid games, 1 rapids game

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm planning on running up behind Rollinsville on Saturday morning. If you want to come, meet at the Rollinsville Stage Stop at 9:00. Then headed towards East Moffat Portal, will turn off at Tolland and see how far up Mammoth Gulch we can get towards Kingston Peak.. unless there's 100 snow shoers then will blow that off.

Either way back down and head up Rollins Pass to see how far up we can get towards Jenny Creek. If there's no snow, run all of Jenny Creek. If there's lots of snow, then run until we get stuck, get out, then turn back. Hope to be home by 1:00..

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I saw that...figured it was easier to park at the mall. :D

I thought it might be too short of notice....No biggie. when i figure out where i'm going, i'll post up, anyone is welcome to join me.

I'm considering the Carnage run...but honestly I'm not in that much mood for the parking lot for a trail that is that short and a good hike for me (I spend all day for the trip for relatively little wheeling).

I know a group did try Spring Creek a couple weeks ago and hit a snow bank and had to turn around...probably snowed again last night so that's not good.

I was actually thinking that Winding Stairs might be a fun trail despite the relative lack of rock crawling...I miss Hacket and Longwater and this looks to have that general flavor without the river crossings.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=156

Of course, I live in Monument and it's just up Mt. Herman road and then to Winding Stairs, which I think would be faster than hitting Rampart Range out of Castle Rock and running 30 miles on the dirt road for anybody coming out of Denver. I think this would be a relatively light day since the trail is so close to I-25 if you add Mt. Herman. Any interest?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like Rollins is melted enough so you can reach the JC trailhead. It sounds like the drifts on RP are in the same place as usual so whatever the case it sounds like fun! Root and I have chatted a tad and there WILL be a St. Fuaw run soon to try and bust as much Jenny Creek trail as possible so we can do our part in keeping folks on the trail. I will post up a small blip as to when but if I post up too many details it can't be a St. Fuaw run now can it? ;) :thumb: :hill:

I'm planning on running up behind Rollinsville on Saturday morning. If you want to come, meet at the Rollinsville Stage Stop at 9:00. Then headed towards East Moffat Portal, will turn off at Tolland and see how far up Mammoth Gulch we can get towards Kingston Peak.. unless there's 100 snow shoers then will blow that off.

Either way back down and head up Rollins Pass to see how far up we can get towards Jenny Creek. If there's no snow, run all of Jenny Creek. If there's lots of snow, then run until we get stuck, get out, then turn back. Hope to be home by 1:00..

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Carnage is fun but I would rather have wisdom teeth pulled without numming than go up there on a weekend!

I'm considering the Carnage run...but honestly I'm not in that much mood for the parking lot for a trail that is that short and a good hike for me (I spend all day for the trip for relatively little wheeling).

I know a group did try Spring Creek a couple weeks ago and hit a snow bank and had to turn around...probably snowed again last night so that's not good.

I was actually thinking that Winding Stairs might be a fun trail despite the relative lack of rock crawling...I miss Hacket and Longwater and this looks to have that general flavor without the river crossings.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=156

Of course, I live in Monument and it's just up Mt. Herman road and then to Winding Stairs, which I think would be faster than hitting Rampart Range out of Castle Rock and running 30 miles on the dirt road for anybody coming out of Denver. I think this would be a relatively light day since the trail is so close to I-25 if you add Mt. Herman. Any interest?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Planning sunday at noon at the downieville gas station.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
spring creek. Sorry should have clarified. I believe we can at least get up to the first obstacle, possibly the second, as all of that should see some decent sun. The third and the rock garden are going to be iffy.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
From CO4x4 this Tuesday the 22nd:

"Doesn't look like Spring Creek is happening yet:

We tried Spring Creek today. Still lots of snow at and above the old ore loading chute (or what's left of it - this past winter was hard on it). Past the switchback just above the chute there was snow covering half the trail. I'd say two or three weeks before the snow is gone."

I'm just gonna wait for the Father's Day run on Spring Creek :mad: . Might be up for Old Chinaman, though :D

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Bummer...I was hoping to meet you...I'm going to post up about going to chinamens next week sometime...Haven't gotten the day figured out yet. I'll let you know.

Any other takers?

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I'm hoping to join an Old Chinaman run at this point - SC just doesn't look like it has a shot yet to do the bulk of the fun stuff based on CO4x4 threads...

I hear Kelly Flats is open. The Chutes would be fun in an 80 :D

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
well that sucks. I was lookin for a run earlier in the week, but went ahead and made plans to ride dirt bikes on Sunday instead. Maybe next weekend?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm hoping to join an Old Chinaman run at this point - SC just doesn't look like it has a shot yet to do the bulk of the fun stuff based on CO4x4 threads...

I hear Kelly Flats is open. The Chutes would be fun in an 80 :D

I have not yet found a good line into the chutes in my 80 that wont kiss the rocks with the rear drivers quarter panel. I know there is a line there that will work but since I refuse to stack rocks it has eluded me. If you can get your mall crawler through the first squeeze then the rest will be a cake walk! The trick is to go high to the right but the wheelbase comes into play as you have to turn left too early thus casing the rear tires to slide back to the ruts.

Go ahead sir....raise the bar! I challenge thee! ;) :thumb: :hill:

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Challenge accepted (you can ask me questions about rock stacking, but not under oath :D )

Now I just need a group (group being more than one :D ). Anybody? Kelly Flats or Old Chinaman for Sunday?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Challenge accepted (you can ask me questions about rock stacking, but not under oath :D )

Now I just need a group (group being more than one :D ). Anybody? Kelly Flats or Old Chinaman for Sunday?

Really wish I could, unfortunately my 80 is still 2wd (waiting for Cryoed mini-truck crap to get done). You might post up on CoWy's forum on MUD and I bet your scare up a Cruiser or 2.....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, so if anyone is in for tomorrow we're a definite go. 93 & 72 @ 08:15, or Rollinsville @ 09:00. 4 on cb, 146.460 on 2m, calzone on the engine. Bring gloves, and a shovel... there's road down there somewhere and dad gummit we're stayin' on it! :)