Memorial Day 2014 photos

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Driving down I 70 today seeing tons of yotas and watching all the water jugs on the side of the interstate go by I was sad I didn't spend Memorial Day with my wheeling buddies. This thread is a way to catch up with y'all so post up your best pics of the weekend no matter what ya did!

BBQ?

Wheeling?

We went biking

a6y7u4u9.jpg

We got pretty rained on too..

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
College graduation party in Fort Collins. No wheelin for me. :( Only cute girls. :D

memorialday2014.jpg

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I pedaled today too but close to home, no pix. That looks like Utah red dirt where you are riding.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Kokopelli? Did you do the whole thing Marco?

This is what it looked like over in Gunnison Sunday. Rained for about 4 hours Saturday night into Sunday early morning, stopped about 2 hours before the start. Course was goo mixed with abrasive granite for the first lap, dried out for the second but the hail storm turned it back towards the end of my second. Stuck it out and finished, 174 of 350 with 8:49:56. I was 47 of 75 (including 54 finishers, 3 DNF and 18 DNS) in 40-49 Men. Matt Woodruff won my class in 5:41:43, so I was +3:09:13.

Growler_MF_26.jpg

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Did some wheeling at Slaughterhouse Gulch. Good times. :thumb:

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Looks like fun Dan, lucky on the cute girls :)

Travis, you guys did those climbs OK in the rain/mud? looks like it was a nice trip. Soon we'll get to play higher up, I can't wait for that.

Yes, we rode the Kokopelli.. The start was quite pleasant, the middle/end was pretty brutal.. We left the trailhead in fruita at 2pm, by 3:30am that night it was drizzly/real rainy until we finished. At the top of the whole enchilada (which I was most excited to ride) we actually had to carry bikes a few miles and it POURED. uhg. The muddy pic just doesn't so it justice. I got body slammed into the muddy road a few times.. this was after the sticky mud part where we were carrying bikes. Probably the only time I was grateful for the SS.

a7y2ujum.jpg

9unyhute.jpg

I wish I'da gotten pics of all the rigs on I-70, lots of sweet yotas pulling some nice campers. Anybody on here?

Saw a lot of Wy. Plates actually.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
iphone pic

10338271_10152380209185743_3862916607449726824_n.jpg

Did some wheeling at Slaughterhouse Gulch. Good times. :thumb:

did you do that sunday? i took a long bike ride sunday morning and came up deer creek to turkey creek to 285. when i popped out on 285 at meyer ranch, i saw you go flying by heading up the hill.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Travis, you guys did those climbs OK in the rain/mud? looks like it was a nice trip. Soon we'll get to play higher up, I can't wait for that.

Yeah, it went smoothly. Most of the trail was fairly dry. Just a bunch of mud holes down low. But we did all end up pretty dirty. :thumb:

did you do that sunday? i took a long bike ride sunday morning and came up deer creek to turkey creek to 285. when i popped out on 285 at meyer ranch, i saw you go flying by heading up the hill.

We actually did the trail on Monday morning. But I was up there on Sunday at my uncle's place in Bailey, working on some stuff for my truck.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Memorial Day weekend

We decided to try out the new pop up camper this weekend. we started out tyring to get up to Lamertine mine area and Ute Creek, ya right ran into 3-4 foot of snow. next we headed for Slaughter house, got up there late set up camper and got the furnance going quickly, tried to sleep but trucks going by late at night doing night runs. Weather sucked all weekend rain,rain, more rain, hail and more hail. at one point it started to rain at 4:00 Saturday and rained for 12 hours. finally got to run trail on Sunday after a good hail storm so trail was very wet and muddy, it was me and my Son in law with his Jeep Wrangler which is all stock right and never had any problems. The only problem we had was all the idiots that were tearing up the meadow and getting stuck, trucks, ATV'S, side by sides, and worst of all Rubicons. No Toyotas because they were the ones pulling them out and letting them know what they were doing was illegal. in fact on Saturday a man walked up to our camp and asked me for a favor, I asked are you stuck in the bog? yes I am, so I went down ther to pull him out and just as I am getting ready to hook up to him a Park county sheriff shows up and starts taking pic's and plate numbers so tell him that he walked up for help and I was just telling him about stay the trail and he could be in trouble for this. guess what he was driving? If you guessed Rubicon your a winner. He tried to offer me money for getting him out, I refused and told him to pay it forward and do the same and learn about trail useage. Then on Sunday afternoon a division of wildlife ranger and 3 sheriffs went by our camp looking for someone. I thought it might be the Toyota guys because they spent alot of time at the mud bog. Later I found they were pulling people out and letting know they were in there illegally, the sheriffs were looking for a bunch of Atv's. Then on Monday as we were packing Travis and Justin came by.

Attachments

• 164.jpg
    164.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 180.jpg
    180.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 282

rover67

Rising Sun Member
!!!!

Holy carp!!

Sounds like you did the best you could to help folks and teach them... I bet it was hard to not just explode....

The pictures really put it in perspective.. wow.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
We decided to try out the new pop up camper this weekend. we started out tyring to get up to Lamertine mine area and Ute Creek, ya right ran into 3-4 foot of snow. next we headed for Slaughter house, got up there late set up camper and got the furnance going quickly, tried to sleep but trucks going by late at night doing night runs. Weather sucked all weekend rain,rain, more rain, hail and more hail. at one point it started to rain at 4:00 Saturday and rained for 12 hours. finally got to run trail on Sunday after a good hail storm so trail was very wet and muddy, it was me and my Son in law with his Jeep Wrangler which is all stock right and never had any problems. The only problem we had was all the idiots that were tearing up the meadow and getting stuck, trucks, ATV'S, side by sides, and worst of all Rubicons. No Toyotas because they were the ones pulling them out and letting them know what they were doing was illegal. in fact on Saturday a man walked up to our camp and asked me for a favor, I asked are you stuck in the bog? yes I am, so I went down ther to pull him out and just as I am getting ready to hook up to him a Park county sheriff shows up and starts taking pic's and plate numbers so tell him that he walked up for help and I was just telling him about stay the trail and he could be in trouble for this. guess what he was driving? If you guessed Rubicon your a winner. He tried to offer me money for getting him out, I refused and told him to pay it forward and do the same and learn about trail useage. Then on Sunday afternoon a division of wildlife ranger and 3 sheriffs went by our camp looking for someone. I thought it might be the Toyota guys because they spent alot of time at the mud bog. Later I found they were pulling people out and letting know they were in there illegally, the sheriffs were looking for a bunch of Atv's. Then on Monday as we were packing Travis and Justin came by.

It was good to see you guys out there.

We ran the trail and then on our way out there were several belligerent idiots stuck in that same bog. Justin confronted them about it, and took pics. But you could tell they didn't give two s**ts about it. Those kinds of people make me so mad. They're the reason why so many trails get shut down. The lack of responsibility and overall carelessness of so many people is really frustrating. :mad:

And yeah, Rubicon drivers….what is the deal? lol :lmao:

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Ya Rubiscum drivers were the worst violators we saw out there. Most of them were on there own or with another. Mile high jeep club came through on Saturday and I'm sure they wern't pleased with what they saw. I checked out Front Range 4x4 forum last night since we ran in 3 of them on Sunday. they said the same that it is out of control. On there way out they pulled out a lone stock FJCruiser in the mud, which we passed along the trail earlier. Another loner thinking he can make through. I have been in touch with Sam from Stay the Trail, he has been talking to the Land manager for the South Platte RD and he is putting together a group together for this Satuday to put up signs and some kind of fencing to stop this from getting worse. I will post up details as I can. They are looking for volunteers to help. I wish I could go but work calls.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member