• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Meeting Report - Jack-It Night 2022 (AKA the Annual Pre-Cruise Moab Recovery and Trail Skill Hands-On Meeting)

PhillyB77

I contacted Element and have partnered with them on my Motorcycle channel, they are sending me multiple units to use and I'll prob test one. I truly believe in the product after seeing it and want to have some in the house, vehicles and on the bike for trips. Thanks all for making this happen.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I too was impressed with the Element, mostly. The one shortcoming that I saw was how close to the fire the "flare" had to be to be effective. Both the dry chem and CO2 extinguishers allow you to be much farther away from the fire and still flood it with retardant.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
My favorite part of the Element is how easy it is to store. I just toss it in the glove box. No fancy holders that use up space in the foot well.

Another major reason I went with the Element is never needing to worry about it timing out.

The striker on the extinguisher is pretty large and easy to see how to use. It is quite an intuitive process. It was also nice to see that it took about 2-3 seconds to get going fully. That is plenty of time to get my hands clear from the heat.

I totally understand why some will go with the old school ABC chem extinguishers. Perfection is the enemy of good. Just have something and have a plan.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Perfection is the enemy of good.
I may frame this on the wall. Tough one for lawyers and engineers. At least engineers have safety factors! :ROFLMAO:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Element form factor makes it easy to keep close, even in a backpack/go bag.

This is my main favorite aspect of the Element. I keep an E50 in the driver and passenger door pocket of each of our vehicles, and I even travel with one for work. I check that bag however because I doubt it can be carried on, but it gives me peace of mind to always have it with me. I also keep a larger ABC extinguisher in the cargo area of the cruiser for things other than cabin or under hood fires.

I had the unfortunate experience of being a first responder to an accident where a Jeep burst into flames and trapped the driver who later passed away, but I did everything I could with the small ABC extinguisher I kept in a driver seat frame mounted bracket. That accident truly required a fire truck to put out the blaze, so no handheld extinguisher would have saved the driver. It reinforced my long held belief to be prepared and do your best when things go sideways, and that’s really all we can do!

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
In engineering we say "Perfection is the enemy of done".

I like the idea of adding the Element along side my ABC for now. I like the range and ability to pause with the ABC, I'd rather get hit over the head or store the Element though. I do think the element in a breeze would be less effective as it's throwing gas vs metallic salts that may hit and stay on target better. I find this whole discussion fascinating, mostly I don't want to get shot by an errant hood or lift gate gas strut.

I didn't set the thermal camera range correctly for our demo so it maxed at ~420F but you can see the Element looks like a roman candle so you could probably burn the operator under some conditions.
406203928-IR.jpg406203928-DC.jpg

406203850-IR.jpg406203850-DC.jpg

That last set is for JP's urologist :LOL: .

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
In engineering we say "Perfection is the enemy of done".

I like the idea of adding the Element along side my ABC for now. I like the range and ability to pause with the ABC, I'd rather get hit over the head or store the Element though. I do think the element in a breeze would be less effective as it's throwing gas vs metallic salts that may hit and stay on target better. I find this whole discussion fascinating, mostly I don't want to get shot by an errant hood or lift gate gas strut.

I didn't set the thermal camera range correctly for our demo so it maxed at ~420F but you can see the Element looks like a roman candle so you could probably burn the operator under some conditions.
View attachment 103537View attachment 103536

View attachment 103538View attachment 103539

That last set is for JP's urologist :LOL: .
No wonder it burns when I pee! And I e always had good luck dowsing fires with Piss so now I know!