• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Marlin Rotors

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The 80 series rotors are on sale $25 each. OEM with our discount is $75 each. These beeing vented *not slotted) appear similar in design to OEM. I see Jeff Zettl and Tim are getting a set. Anyone have personal experinace with these.

Even if they did not last as long as OEM, for the price the rears would be great. The fornts are a pain to change and where the most wear occures, so thats were my question lies.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/brakes/rotors.htm

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yup, I'm going for it and don't mind being the guinea pig.. my slotted/drilled DBA's are warped, and I need to bleed the whole system anyway, so I'm going to try these suckers out and see how they go. I'll probably use my same 100 series pads since they appear to have tons of pad left on them, and iirc cost me at least double what these rotors cost.

Why are the fronts a pain to change? I've never done it.. but don't you just unbolt those bolts that are between the wheel studs?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The rears you just take off the bub.

The front requires removal of the hub and is almost half way to a front axle rebuild. Not quite, but not as easy as say rachels 99 4 runner where you pull off the caliper and the rotor pops right off.

It's not hard, just more involved than some other vehicles.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
if they are like 60s and 40s, they are also held on by the lug studs. you'll need to press the studs out before you can remove the rotor.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
if they are like 60s and 40s, they are also held on by the lug studs. you'll need to press the studs out before you can remove the rotor.

Welcome to the 80's world.

attachment.php

The studs are part of the hub the inner and out axle bearing slide into. The Hub mounts to the Rotor via bolts that you use a socket wrench on and then the whole assembly goes on the spindle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think there is a very nice FAQ on Mud on the Front Axle that someone put together with PICTURES :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Makes me wonder if any minitruck guys have thought to use 80 hubs for a wide axle setup. Hmmm...

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have a set of OEM Fronts on the shelf. So I bought two sets of rears and one front set. We will be doing Sarah's axles over labor Day and I may do mine in the next year so I will do Rotors at that time.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Makes me wish I had these when Ben and I (well, 90% Ben - although I tried to pay attention but man is he FAST) did the front axle service on my :Princess:'s 80... :(

But, the more you do something the easier it becomes right :hill:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Dang, just got a call from Marlin Crawler that they're out of disks, no plans to get any more. So I guess I'm sol...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Dang, just got a call from Marlin Crawler that they're out of disks, no plans to get any more. So I guess I'm sol...

Silly question and I know this isn't in the FSM but have you considered getting your existing rotors frozen? Cryoing rotors is very popular and reportedly can help them live up to 6 times longer without warping. Not that there's anything wrong with warping...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Hey, at least you got a call...No email, no call, NADA :(

And, I KNOW I ordered before Romer did :rant:

I think I smell a conspiracy :hill:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Silly question and I know this isn't in the FSM but have you considered getting your existing rotors frozen? Cryoing rotors is very popular and reportedly can help them live up to 6 times longer without warping. Not that there's anything wrong with warping...

Yeah you told me about that before.. so what do you think, get my DBA's turned down then freeze them? Or buy new ones then freeze those.. this last set lasted 3 years, which is the longest ever on this truck. I'm open to other suggestions as well.