Manual Hubs for 93 4runner

Hello,

I am confused by many different options that I have been finding on the internet for changing my automatic hubs to manual ones.

I want the reliable but inexpensive way to save some gas (over the next few years) I get 15-18 around town. 3.0 v6 auto, 31's not too rugged.

any advice on a parts house. I can most likely do the labor myself. I saw this link on a forum once, they show now special tools or parts. Does this seem right?

http://www.yotatech.com/f128/warn-manual-hub-conversion-2nd-gen-4runner-76320/

thanks a bunch. I am also looking to possibly join the group. Looking to go locked in the back this fall too. otherwise open stock.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, that's the procedure.

Don't go to the expense and lower quality of Warn hubs though, you can pick up used Aisin hubs from an IFS truck that will outlast them. Aisin hubs are stronger than Warn and use cone washers as Toyota designed (thereby more strongly anchored to the wheel hub).

If you must use Warn, they will work. Your choice.

I have to whole-heartedly agree with the Aisin hubs over the Warn. The Aisin hubs can be found for a fraction of the price of a Warn set and are much better. Also, your 93 4Runner wouldn't have auto hubs, but rather ADD. The ADD system basically disconnects the driver side axle shaft. It more or less "splits" into 2 parts right near the differential. Since you don't have hubs, the CV shafts spin all the time. There is added wear on the shafts and decreased mileage. Your "hubs" are fully locked all the time. When you add the locking hubs, you will have to get out and lock the hubs when you want 4x4. The nice thing is you can leave them locked and then it will be like having a factory setup. When weather is bad, just leave them locked. It won't be any different than the way it drives now. Hope some of that info helps. I highly suggest the swap! Just be careful trying to get the cones out. The parts can be easily damaged if you hit them with a hammer.

93 4 runnner and Aisin hubs

So thanks for the direction. So since I am new to the Springs. Where would one go to find some of the Aisin hubs? I live in Monument, commute to South (south) Academy.

Any place more reputable than any other?

Thanks for the help again.

Hyker Wilson

I am in Denver, so I can't give you Springs places. Don't forget to look online though. CL and Ebay. Used locally should go for about $30. Ebay can get to $50 or more. Make sure you get for each side the dial, housing, 6 small bolts, 6 small nuts, 6 washers, 6 cones. Hope that helps.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Yota yard.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Or Yoda Man a.k.a. Toyota Jim, Jim Wales, in Denver. Worth the trip. Better prices than Yota Yard.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Last time I was at Yota Yard they had a bunch of IFS Aisens and no straight axles ones.

Hubs for the 93 4 Runner.

Thanks again for all the input.

I was able to find a set local. There off an 88 pickup. Low money. Almost new condition.

Thanks

Hyker Wilson