• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

LS Swapping the Mini Truck (LQ9)

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
I FINALLY have 4wd.

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 10.31.02 AM.png

Yeah the angles are nasty. Tom Woods sent me a driveshaft with offset u-joints that should handle it. The only problem is that past 30mph or so it gets an expected vibration because the u-joints cause the drive shaft to wobble. There really wasn't any way to correct this short of cutting apart the front axle and changing the transfer case position. The TW rep said its a problem with nearly all mini SAS setups. My only concern here is getting to/from trails in icy conditions. I don't want a trailer rig.

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 10.31.21 AM.png

Also, if I go over any sort of large ledge or rock, it could contact the DS. Something Ill have to live with for now, but might look at armor options later on.

I also came out one day to find my scangauge was inoperable. Found the problem. Im attributing it to my smearing dielectric grease on the connector. Probably obvious to everyone but me that this is neither necessary or an appropriate use. The more you know! Re-pinned, cleaned and back in service.

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 10.33.04 AM.png

Next rare bit of free time I get, I'll triple-bleed the brakes. I think there is still some air from when I did the SAS. Between the 35s and the 6 liter, they need all the help they can get. In low range, you need to shift to neutral or forget about stopping. So close to being back on a trail!

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Another stupid mistake, when I added shims, I was working to get the axle back to factory spec. This meant I was reducing caster, when it needed all the caster it could get. So I flipped them around. I also replaced the bad shock. Death wobble fixed!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Tom Woods didn't recommend a double cardan drive shaft? I thought that was the ticket for higher angle situations.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Tom Woods didn't recommend a double cardan drive shaft? I thought that was the ticket for higher angle situations.
I have the DC shaft they made me the first time around waiting to go to town for a return. I tried it (luckily on a vehicle lift) and it fell apart at full droop. Also, reversing the shims did nothing good for the angle at the 3rd member. I could probably run a DC shaft on the street, but once I got in to a full droop or crossed up situation its survival would be questionable. Paraphrasing TW here. Here's an article about it:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ah, interesting stuff. You've probably thought this to death at this point.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
No one wants to hear it but cut and turn those knuckles. You can get your shaft up out of the rocks have no vibration at speed and good caster.
I can tell you I always thought full hydraulic was always just twitchy, nature of the beast so to speak but building new 609’s last winter with correct caster I never experienced it so smooth.

Food for thought

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@Hulk Yeah you would think... Some things, like the shims and exhaust routing, make me wonder where my brain was.

@J Kimmel Good ideas; the next iteration will probably have me doing something with the front axle to correct the angles. Might be a good thing to do in combo with a future atlas TC and future shop space. My concern about rotating the knuckles is that the steering components are probably going to be in the way. Also I just want to get out and wheel. I won't be doing KOH any time soon.

Or just go 'won ton' and fix it all then.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
@Hulk Yeah you would think... Some things, like the shims and exhaust routing, make me wonder where my brain was.

@J Kimmel Good ideas; the next iteration will probably have me doing something with the front axle to correct the angles. Might be a good thing to do in combo with a future atlas TC and future shop space. My concern about rotating the knuckles is that the steering components are probably going to be in the way. Also I just want to get out and wheel. I won't be doing KOH any time soon.

Or just go 'won ton' and fix it all then.
Need a spare '85 axle housing to do the cut and turn at your leisure? I think I've got three.

Dan

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@DanS I'd love to take you up on that offer! Let me know what I can do for you in return. This won't happen until after the icf-mahal is built.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
@DanS I'd love to take you up on that offer! Let me know what I can do for you in return. This won't happen until after the icf-mahal is built.
Excellent! I'll try to remember next time I'm coming up from NM to toss one in the truck to drop it off for you.

Dan

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@DanS That'd be great! Good to have you visit as well.

Regarding the brakes, there's about a 6psi drop from manifold pressure with engine off vs on. Im not sure if this is the correct way to read vacuum, but that comes out to ~12 in hg which is low. Someone please tell me if Im off track in my logic. So next chunk of free time I get, Ill be looking for vacuum leaks.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
@DanS That'd be great! Good to have you visit as well.

Regarding the brakes, there's about a 6psi drop from manifold pressure with engine off vs on. Im not sure if this is the correct way to read vacuum, but that comes out to ~12 in hg which is low. Someone please tell me if Im off track in my logic. So next chunk of free time I get, Ill be looking for vacuum leaks.
do yo uhave a good vacuum check valve on there for the booster?

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@rover67 Its on my list to check. I imagine I could just blow through it to test?
Also my problems are mostly near idle. After I get moving its not so bad. But low range on a slow trail could be scary. In my dirt drive, the rear wheels dig with the brake pedal to the floor.

I also remember the brakes being not so great with the 4.3.

Some other thoughts Ive had is a vacuum reservoir and/or an electric vacuum pump. But I think those could be masking the real problem.

Also a note for myself to check: LSPV. I think the arm angle changed after the lift: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lspv-optimal-height.938225/

Last edited:

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Well I fixed my brakes. Un-bolted the LSPV arm and tied it up to the frame with baling wire :hill: Immediate and dramatic improvement. Can't believe I lived with poor braking for all this time when the fix was so simple. Will find a better way to permanently affix the arm, and maybe do a bypass of the LSPV in the future.

I had it sitting for a while and someone moved in and chewed up some wires. Worst was an injector circuit. So I spent a bit of time splicing new wires in to my harness :mad:

And I finally got it out on the trail. Its fine until you start doing slow climbs, then the temperatures creep up. My understanding is that normal operating temps are around 210-220F for these engines. At 235 I had to pull over and let it cool. This happened a couple of times.

Im going to try pusher fans but not getting my hopes up. Pessimist in me thinks itll require hacking up more of the front, maybe creating custom radiator bracketry, and trying to go bigger with the rad and fans. Add that to cutting and turning the front axle and Ive got work for years to come.

On a positive note, nothing got bound up or made contact with the front axle/driveshaft. This is the first time its been on the trail since I did that work too. The ride is also noticeably better. Its nice going over swales at speed and not getting a steering wheel to the teeth.

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 10.27.46 AM.png

satchel

Rising Sun Member
In case this hasn't already been discussed here, try bypassing the coolant lines. That helped my truck a lot. If you aren't aware, these engines want to have coolant flowing through the heater core always and yours likely is not allowing for that so it may be creating a coolant blockage.