Lost Trails Guidebook

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

A reminder for those of you who attended this year's CM raffle. And for those of you who couldn't make it to CM, Ben from the Blue Ribbon Coalition spoke about a new book his team has published regarding underused trails in Utah.

A $25 donation gets you a copy of the book, supports their initiative to identify lost and underutilized trails in Utah, and help ensure these trails stay open for us to enjoy. Mine is on the way.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I agree Steve but their justification is that the lack of use makes it easy to close the roads down permanently. So in this case BRC is advocating more awareness and use to keep them from getting shut down.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Apparently one of the big weapons in the toolkit of the organizations that advocate for closing trails is "these roads aren't even being used. Look -- they are completely overgrown and returning to nature. We should just close them and let nature take its course fully."

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Hey guys,

A reminder for those of you who attended this year's CM raffle. And for those of you who couldn't make it to CM, Ben from the Blue Ribbon Coalition spoke about a new book his team has published regarding underused trails in Utah.

A $25 donation gets you a copy of the book, supports their initiative to identify lost and underutilized trails in Utah, and help ensure these trails stay open for us to enjoy. Mine is on the way.
Got my copy before Moab and is in the Rig, several interesting trails.
Wondering about changes of the upcoming 2nd Edition ?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wondering about changes of the upcoming 2nd Edition ?
I think the next edition will be volume 2 with more seldom-used trails rather than an update to the current book.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
It took a few weeks but I got mine

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
How is the book? It's a good cause either way of course, but I'm curious if the book has some gems in there. I have a bit of free time to explore coming up and wouldn't mind seeing some new stuff!

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
There are 30 trails in it, 4 that I really want to do. So, in my opinion yes.
image.jpg
image.jpg

80 Life

Wincher
This honestly fascinates me. I feel like if I tried to do a similar book for Colorado I would have many people at my neck for making unpopular trails popular 🤷‍♂️ I see a lot of gatekeeping in this community, but I understand why. When you find that special secret spot you like to hold it close. I do have some friends though that hold 100's of spots close, most they will never return to.
Anywhoose, does anyone know if volume 2 is coming out soon? Maybe I will wait to order. Cheers

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Not sure when volume 2 is due out but Ben did mention it was in the works at Cruise Moab.
I spent some time going through the book last week and there are several trails I’m interested in exploring.
It is an interesting thing, giving away secret spots, but I think the reasoning behind getting some more people using them is valid. I hope it works, and the Sierra Club goes home crying in their wheat germ smoothies!

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the feedback! Just ordered the book. I kinda wish there was an electronic version you would get immediately, but no doubt there is something special about being able to hold a book in your hands.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I got mine last week as well and I'm really impressed with the overall quality, its not a gimmick but a proper guidebook that I can use!
Land use is weird and I'm not the first one to share my secret spots but if Ben and Blue Ribbon say this could move the needle then I'm all for it.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
This honestly fascinates me. I feel like if I tried to do a similar book for Colorado I would have many people at my neck for making unpopular trails popular 🤷‍♂️ I see a lot of gatekeeping in this community, but I understand why. When you find that special secret spot you like to hold it close. I do have some friends though that hold 100's of spots close, most they will never return to.
Anywhoose, does anyone know if volume 2 is coming out soon? Maybe I will wait to order. Cheers
Try getting people to spill the beans on where to go in the north east/New England area.. Its even more hush hush. Class-6 roads are where its at for the most part or private property that is for club members/invite only.