• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Looking for Places to Go Wheeling in the Late Fall and Winter

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
I'm looking for a place to go test out the truck. Can you please recommend some places to go that are passable this time of year (nov /dec)? For what its worth I'm located near Denver.

Thanks!

RedRunner

Lifted
I'm looking for a place to go test out the truck. Can you please recommend some places to go that are passable this time of year (nov /dec)? For what its worth I'm located near Denver.

Thanks!
What kind of truck are you testing out?

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
its a 91 FJ80 w/ 35s and a lift. I just got the lift done so I'm keen see how to does.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Pickle Gulch and Switzerland Trail might still be ok. The past week of warmish weather might have made it better after the last good snow.

Slaughterhouse Gulch is a good one to start out on but it might be closed for the season.

That's the problem about trying to wheel right now; most of the good trails are either closed or they should be so as not to tear them up too bad. If you find somewhere to go, post up and let us know how it went! Good luck!

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yankee Hill is usually okay this time of year, at least from the Central City side. You can also check out the West Magnolia network outside Rollinsville - it's pretty basic and as of last weekend, didn't have a ton of snow (though, the week before had some pretty deep drifts).

Regardless, I'd make sure you have some basic recovery gear or at least a partner truck to head up with you. I would've been up a creek a few weeks back on West Magnolia if I didn't have a winch, and that's a super easy trail. :D

I might be heading up a trail or two on Sunday. Hit me up if you're interested.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Awesome - right now I'm pretty low on recovery gear. I have some old stuff from back when I was broke and into wheeling. Chains/shackles/tree strap. Back then I used to winch with a high lift haha.

So with that in mind - I'd definitely be game to go Sunday. I'll shoot you a message.

RedRunner

Lifted
I've got a few guys that are wanting to run on Sunday also. Post up where and when you guys are wheeling and we can meet you guys! (One of them is a Jeeper though!)

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Awesome!

I'm pretty new to the area, so I'll defer to either of you guys for recommendations on where to go. I'm based in wheat ridge, where would you want to meet up?

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like most of the options are around Central City. For those interested how about meeting at Buffawhale Coffee in Central City at 11am?

RedRunner

Lifted
The guys I'm heading up with need to go earlier than that as they have appointments in the afternoon. We are shooting to meet at 8:30 or 9am in Central City. I will post the details on here once I am able to nail down all the info!!

RedRunner

Lifted
Hey guys, sorry for the late post here.

We are meeting at the Phillips 66 in Morrison at 8am. We will be running Slaughter house with about 6 trucks (or more!)

Phillips 66
Phillips 66
16283 Morrison Rd, Morrison, CO 80465
(303) 697-3998
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TB8NEyTcCwAUka7W8

Hope to see some of you guys there!

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
We made it out to slaughterhouse gulch on Sunday. There really wasn't that much snow. I think I only had traction issues a couple times with open diffs.
IMG_20191124_095256.jpg

IMG_20191124_105435.jpg

IMG_20191124_105537.jpg