• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

longwater trail maintenance day

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
TRAIL MAINTENANCE

July 18th and 19th, Saturday and Sunday
Longwater Gulch
Meet each morning at 8:30am at the gate.

We need firm commitments so we can plan the amount of work to tackle and how much supplies we will need.

You must be signed up on the Teller County Volunteer List. If you signed up once, you don't need to sign up again. If you don't remember signing up, please come in and sign up again. Remember, no children under the age of 8 (Teller County Requirement) and no alcohol while doing trail maintenance.

Bring all the things you would normally bring to spend a day outdoors. We will work in the rain and in the heat.

Suggested items:
Rain Gear
Gloves
Sunscreen
Lunch
Lots to drink
Hat

Bring it if you have it:
Chain Saws - (Please verify they work prior to the trip)
Post hole diggers

Please let us know as soon as you can if you will be participating and the number of people in your group.

Thank you!

Julie Panek
Predator 4 Wheel Drive,llc
4260 North Nevada Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
(719)528-5790

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Great! Anything to get that trail and Hackett open again! I'll see if I can make it!

Or maybe it's already open? I haven't heard...

PPFJ60

Hackett and Longwater are open.

I called Predator 4x4 http://www.predator4wd.com/ to see how the drive through went on Wednesday. They told me the gates to Hackett and Longwater are open!:)

The trails currently end at the Teller/Park county line. Please contact Teller county commisioners and thank them for allowing the trails to be opened and contact Park county commissioners and ask them to allow the trails to be opened in Park county so we can camp, fish and trail ride in Park county.

http://www.co.teller.co.us/Commissioners/commissi.htm

http://www.parkco.us/county_offices.htm

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Pretty cool. My first run with RS was Hackett in Jan. 2001.

Matt, if you are going to be there, I will be there too. What a memory, watching you HAMMER Hackett Rock. Great trails!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Matt, if you are going to be there, I will be there too. What a memory, watching you HAMMER Hackett Rock. Great trails!

Steve, you do know that this event happend last weekend right? Not that i'm wanting you to show up and all, just sayin.

:beer::beer:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Pointing out the facts is just that Perry and I got lost in the past - the way past. Thanks for setting me straight as us old guys need that from time to time since we don't watch the calender all that closely and I'm still ready to do Hackett and Longwater any time. I still have visions of Matt and Hulk damn near on their sides and Deano chaining up to go downhill. Some fine trails that, if they truly are open again, need to be checked out by the Rising Sun gang. They used to be our wintertime - pre Pizza Run days - runs and I'm in.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, my point was that if the gate is open, we need to head down there to check it out. Cool trail.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
To the volunteers, who donated their time and energy to trail work on July 18 and 19, thank you. With a small group of hard-working volunteers, the final work on the Teller County portions of both Longwater Gulch and Hackett Gulch was completed. On July 22, Teller County Officials and Forest Service Officials were driven over the trails to get their required approval. Teller County Officials and the Forest Service Officials gave their approval and the Teller County portions of Metberry, Hackett, and Longwater Gulches are now open. Hip, Hip, Hurray for the hard work and dedication of the volunteers.

ONLY THE TELLER COUNTY PORTIONS OF THESE TRAILS ARE NOW OPEN

. The Park County portions of these trails, the last portions of the trails that lead down to the Platte River, are NOT OPEN. Hackett and Longwater are open only to the Park County line. The Park County line is approximately .25 miles to .5 miles from the river. Metberry is still open to the river.
The volunteer effort to open the Park County portions of the trails will continue. The Park County Commissioners have not determined whether they will open the Park County portions of these trails. They would be opening these trails to provide access, recreation, and tourism to their county. We believe, once the Park County officials see the efforts and the maintenance provided by the volunteers, that they will want to open the remainder of the trails. The closures at the county line, although not popular with many, must be honored. We have the opportunity to show that we are committed to opening these trails. If the closures are not honored or damaged is perceived, Park County may decide against obtaining the easements necessary to open the trails. Park County must be assured that we, the off-road community, will stand behind our work and not abandon the task of maintaining the trails. Park County will not open the trails if they perceive that it will cost them labor, man hours, or money. It is a 100 percent volunteer effort that Park County will be using to open these trails. If they do not believe the volunteers are capable, they will walk away. We must police ourselves. The counties expect us to be responsible and the future of the trails depends upon it. If you see violators, take pictures, get license plate numbers or OHV numbers and report them to the Sheriff’s office. Because these trails are county easements, the County Sheriff can prosecute violators.

Opening these trails has been a very long and slow political process that has taken 100's of hours of volunteer time and years to achieve. It may be difficult to see the cable closure across the trails, but please respect the closures. With enough patience, energy, and time, we believe the trails will open down to the river.

"Character is what we do when no one is looking." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

There is evidence that motorcycles and ATV’s have been driving around the gates on Hackett Gulch. If you know any motorcycle riders or ATVers, that use this area, please encourage them to pass the word about the closures.

Julie Panek
Predator 4 Wheel Drive,llc
4260 North Nevada Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
(719)528-5790