light bars

BC9392

Rising Sun Member
would like some info on lite bars - will take all I can get

Looking to put on my 99 4runner. probably mount to front bumper.

who makes good, better quality. will probably be used minimally

who's installed what and how do you like

bob crossman

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I had some from www.superbrightleds.com and they’re fine for occasional use. They throw out a lot of light for rare night wheeling or getting off the trail late night problem. I recently ditched my 20” from them in favor of a slimmer 6” Rigid and I can tell you the Rigid costs about 5x as much but it’s a dramatically better light.
I’m going to put a slim 20” on my superduty for late night drives and I’ll spend the extra bucks for a Rigid or a Baja Designs. The quality difference at speed is worth the cost.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
The quality difference at speed is worth the cost.
This is definitely where the difference comes into play and should be considered for how you spend your money the first go around. Buy once, cry once kind of thing.

Those knuckleheads at Donut Media did a pretty good comparison of the super cheap and super expensive:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’ve got Baja Designs lights on both my vehicles. Super happy. Light temp and pattern is very good. Haven’t had any issues with them other than one lens broken from a rock hit. Replacement lens was affordable and only a phone call away.

They offer any shape light you could want. I really like my LP series lights on the 80 as they are like 3 lights in one.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I did a solid 300 miles of night driving last night through low traffic areas of NM/CO. So low that in a 100 mile stretch between Abiquiu, NM and Pagosa Spring, CO I only had to turn off my BajaDesigns LP9’s 7 times for oncoming traffic. In that same stretch I can say I saw over 100 elk/deer. Off those 100 animals I know I would only seen a handful with the OEM brights. Really an eye opener as to how much wildlife was out.

I really love the beam pattern of the LP series from BD. The peripheral lighting feature is amazing on the open roads. And I feel that is really the difference in the higher cost lights. The video above pretty much sums that up as well. Lifespan will be the other as the cheaper lights output degrades or completely fails much sooner.