Lift options for FJ Cruiser

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a friend who recently bought an FJ Cruiser. He's asking me about lift kits and I don't know much about what is good. He wants to run 33" tires. Any recommendations?

Dans FJC.jpeg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Need to know what the intention, expectation and budget. IOW, just wants to fit 33" for looks or is he trying to build it? IOW which of pavement, rocks or washboard are more important and what's he thinking for adding bumpers, sliders, payload?

As a general recommendation my $0.02 is either an OME kit or FOX 2.0-based suspension is the best peformance-vs-price point all around and just detail the spring rate for use.

One thing to mention budget-wise is new front upper control arms. To fit 33" tires he might need enough lift to require them. Roughly when you go above about 2" of lift on these generation IFS the stock arms run out of caster and getting the front end into alignment is almost impossible.

Also if you use a spring diameter larger than 2.5" the arms will hit them on droop. That's why I recommend OME or 2.0" body shocks since the springs are still small enough diameter that new upper arms are not strictly required like they are with my 2.5" body shocks which use 3" springs (I also have extended travel shocks, which also forces new upper arms to prevent binding ball joints).

Therefore when you balance everything you get a lot a bang for the buck with OME without a list of extra stuff you got to do.

Last edited:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I had the Toytec Boss in my FJ Cruiser and it was fantastic. Sold it to a friend and 5 years and 50k+ later he continues to rave about it.

Diff drop and adjustable UCA's are a very good idea.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
On my old 07, the previous owner purchased a 2.5" OME lift from Slee and I installed 285/75r16 tires (33"). I thought the ride was excellent and the rig flexed fairly well in Moab.