Lift input needed

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on getting my lift. I am comparing two different companies, Marlin and All-Pro Off Road. Prices are within a few dollars of each other. Problem with Marlin is everytime I call there is nobody to answer, very annoying. All Pro answer the phone but during an online chat one of their sales man really tore into Trail gear and Marlin. I don't care for that, he could have compared the products but instead attacked the people.

I am looking at getting the complete kit from either one. I am thinking 4" up front and 5" in rear to level the 4runner. Then a 1-2" body lift, suggested to me, to raise the tank etc. Both say they use US springs, the All Pro kit offers Johny joints for the rear as a $90 upgrade and 5150 Bilstein for $80 upgrade, not sure if I need 5150's but???

Does anybody have either one of these kits? Any expierence with them or the companies? Any other lifts that I MUST look at first??? Give me your input, I need to decide soon, I already missed the Snow run deadline to be ready with my lift so...........

So here we are, MArlin vs. All Pro................and the winner is :confused:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/lift_kit.htm

index.php

Last edited:

IanB

Marlin is a stand up company (and guy) and has supported the Toyota 4x4 community for years.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
IanB said:
Marlin is a stand up company (and guy) and has supported the Toyota 4x4 community for years.

Thanks, I know that but if I can not get a hold of them on the phone for two days, they are open, then I can not get the info I need. I send an email and was told to send another email when I want to call them. Tried that no reply for two days.

I do like the Marlin stuff and he has been there from the start, designed most of the stuff that others are selling now, i.e. Trail-Gear :(

I was about to ask if you had looked at Advanced Off-Road Research, but I checked and they appear to have dropped off the web. At little more checking indicated that they have licensed their technology to Alcan Spring (who apparently built the orbit-eyes for them). I'm still really happy with the articulation of my 4Runner.

the Other Matt

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
RockRunner said:
Thanks, I know that but if I can not get a hold of them on the phone for two days, they are open, then I can not get the info I need. I send an email and was told to send another email when I want to call them. Tried that no reply for two days.

I do like the Marlin stuff and he has been there from the start, designed most of the stuff that others are selling now, i.e. Trail-Gear :(
at least you can get an email to them....i was getting notices saying their emails weren't set up when i tried a while ago.

they are impossible to get ahold of.:(

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
gcmandrake said:
I was about to ask if you had looked at Advanced Off-Road Research, but I checked and they appear to have dropped off the web. At little more checking indicated that they have licensed their technology to Alcan Spring (who apparently built the orbit-eyes for them). I'm still really happy with the articulation of my 4Runner.

the Other Matt

Thanks for the info, I looked at Alcan but they only provide the springs. I want to get all of the stuff in one shot. Makes it a little easier:cheers:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
nuclearlemon said:
at least you can get an email to them....i was getting notices saying their emails weren't set up when i tried a while ago.

they are impossible to get ahold of.:(

I hear you, I want to spend my money with them but.................a call back would be nice.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
If you haven't already, log into the forums off of marlins web site and send a pm to Chris Geiger or post up on the marlin/customer svc thread. He is usually very good about responding. I also vote marlin, he sends me an xmas card every year.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I thought Chris Ceiger was Trail -Gear now??? II thought he used to work there but then left for his own company, I could be wrong but.......

I do like Marlin's stuff but making contact with a company should not be that hard.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Chris is no longer at Marlin. The reason that A-P tore into Marlin and then Trail-Gear is Chris, who left A-P for Marlin, then did the same and formed Trail-Gear. All soap opera.

Marlin is stand up. But really, shopping springs (if you stay stock length in front and +9" longer in the rear) from Alcan is no big deal, Alcan makes incrementally better springs. Get the rest from Marlin IMHO. Even if you have to wait a bit.

But A-P will do you fine. Just realize their springs give more lift (sometimes inches more) than advertised.

marlin has excellent cust service compared to all pro, IMHO. although i dont currently run any of their springs on my runner, lol. I run the 56" all pro rears Awesome flex and alcans int he fornt but they are stock length lift springs and dont flex near as good as my rears. I plan on running the longtravel marlins in the front, eventually. I've "heard" alcan is like 3 months out on ordering springs through them. Marlin is tough to get a hold of but once you do, i dont think you will be sorry. remember right now is their "busy" time with people doing their off season build ups too, i just tried to call em yesterday to order and couldnt even get thru like 10 times that i called, but i will still throw them my business over all pro after some customer service issues with all pro that i wont get into here.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
All right guys you all convinced me, MARLIN it is!!!!!!! I was leaning that way anyway but just needed a push. This truck is not going to be a buggy killer or anything like that but I do want to be able to handle just about anything Moab or ???? can throw at me.

Plan is to run 37's eventually and after talking to many folks I should be able to do that with a Marlin 4" frt and 5" rear plus a 1-2" body lift. Fenders will be cut, that should take care of most of the problems. I thought about 5/5" but like for the 4runner to sit level. Plus once I get the rear bumper build and the dogs in the back I will need that extra inch.

Thanks to all that replied, I feel very comfortable ordering the lift from them.

NOW who wants to help me install it???? I know I will need another set of eyes:rolleyes: I will even provide some real green chilli and beer of choice :cheers:

post up when ur ready i might be able to come help ya out!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Will do, I am ordering my lift tomorrow if they answer the phone. Should be here in a week or two, that is if the snow storms stay away.

I will let you know when I can put it all together.