• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Lefthand OHV info from BMA

mulebarn

Rising Sun Member
For what it’s worth, here’s the perspective from Boulder Mountainbike Alliance on Lefthand Canyon OHV:

“The BMA board of directors recognizes that the motorized community has put volunteer time, effort and dollars into an area that they are now banned from. There are currently no other nearby legal motorized singletrack trails in the Boulder Ranger District. BMA has never advocated against another user group. As mountain bikers often shut out of other trail areas, we do not feel it is right to advocate against reopening to motorized use in this area. We hope that during the public process, we can collaborate together with the motorized community to create a shared trail system, as well as advocate for some trails to stay non-motorized.”

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
As a dirt biker and mountain biker and 4x4 enthusiast, I submitted an email to the committee responsible for approving the grant that will reopen the trail system to ohv use.
I spent a lot of time as a kid with my dad, and as a young man exploring these trails, so it would be awesome to get to share these trails with my son.
If anyone here is interested in supporting the motorized use of the Lefthand Canyon trail system please message me and I can share the contact info with you.

mulebarn

Rising Sun Member
I’d definitely be interested in that contact info. I ride mountain bikes far more often than I four wheel drive, simply due to access around here.

I also know the leadership team here was planning on posting information, but I haven’t seen anything yet. @Hulk — any updates on that front?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@mulebarn and others that might be interested:

The link to the grant proposal is on line 40 of this link; https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/TrailsGrantsOHVApps.aspx

This is the link to email the committee: dnr_trails@state.co.us

For those not familiar with Lefthand Canyon, it is a system of off road trails (formerly) open to dirt bikes, ATVs, and 4x4 vehicles located 10 miles north of Boulder. It was closed after the floods of 2013 and has not been reopened. Please consider sending a brief email voicing your support to reopen this trail system.

Last edited:

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Just a friendly FYI about Lefthand OHV, I was a Firefighter with Lefthand Fire in 2010-2011 and we dealt with the OHV goings on. The abuse at the area was disheartening to say the least, trash, injuries and just stupid behaviors. The shooting caused several fires, some being quite destructive. The general feeling of the local residents, Police and Fire officials was "Close That Area" so when the flood washed out the road, it was closed. Personally I really enjoyed dealing with it as I usually was the guy responding to an incident in our Badass Humvee and yes getting paid to do some serious 4wheelin. Sadly I'd be surprised if it will ever open to motorized traffic again...

dehru

Wincher
Is there any update on this? I remember doing wheeling in probably 1999 in that area.