• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Leaf spring help

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Another question regarding my new lift. I have 4" frt and 5" rr marlin USA leaf springs. The truck sits up to high and I need to drop it some fast, before Moab.

Question is, should I remove the shortest leaf from the pack or the second shortest? I figured I should take the second shortest out and try it that way. It will drop the height a little bit and still drive the same. The other leaf's are tied in together so I can not work with those.

Help appreciated as always.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Shortest. However, beware; this will stress your main leaf. Bad juju.

They should settle down pretty fast. You saying tire clearance is not a problem then? :D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Don't know if this would work or help but do you have a trailer that you can strap the 4Runner down to for awhile and see if that will help flatten out the springs some? Sort of like loading the rig down with weight to encourage the sag to start sooner rather than later...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Don't know if this would work or help but do you have a trailer that you can strap the 4Runner down to for awhile and see if that will help flatten out the springs some? Sort of like loading the rig down with weight to encourage the sag to start sooner rather than later...

Needs to be driven! As the springs cycle they will loosen up. Think of it like breaking in a new pair of shoes. :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
go by a small plate of 1/4 or 3/8ths steel, remnant, to weigh it down. I won't take up much space, but it will weigh a lot. then you can make sliders or bumpers out of it...

Last edited:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Good sugestions guys, I am placing three 80# bags of cement in the rear plus whatever else I can find in the front. I could tow a trailer but don't want a ticket for going to slow ;-) SO far I have not been able to find a nice place to check out the flex, I plan on finding one tomorrow so I can't really tell if clearance is an isseu or not.

I still need to add the sliders to the truck, those weigh about 60# each should help with the springs too. I plan on doing that Friday. I have a winch going on Friday too so another 40-50#'s.

Hope to wheel it during the next two weekends so I can get used to it and break in those really smoooooth riding springs, rides like a Caddy only better.

ANyway I will let you all know how it goes, two weeks and counting, my blood pressure is starting to rise again.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I say, wheel the dang thing! It feels tall because it is new. You'll get the hang, right about the time it settles down too! :D

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I say, wheel the dang thing! It feels tall because it is new. You'll get the hang, right about the time it settles down too! :D

I told my this morning that I was going to buy some 39" boggers since there was so much room in the wheel wells, she was not amused :rolleyes:

I will have to wheel it as much as I can and then some. :hill:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, 39s will have you buying Diamond Axles and 60 ends. Then you'll need a 5VZ just to pull 'em around. Of course, with all that work you will want coilover 3-point suspension, and hey, if you have it in the front why not the rear...

It just never ends.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, 39s will have you buying Diamond Axles and 60 ends. Then you'll need a 5VZ just to pull 'em around. Of course, with all that work you will want coilover 3-point suspension, and hey, if you have it in the front why not the rear...

It just never ends.

Hey, that sounds pretty nice...................let's see axles at $4000 and some coils for $3000. Some extras for about $2000 and a Lexus V8 swap..........I could do this for about $15000.00 Think she'll go for it?:D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I'll wheel it as hard as I can...........

I was never really good at Math!!!