Land Cruiser cost of ownership?

MATPHAT

Lifted
Thanks all for the thoughtful and detailed responses. Truth is, though the idea of getting my hands on an LC is really appealing, the biggest barrier is all the wrenching. Once upon a time in the dim past I did all my own work (25+ yrs ago). Now, at 50, with a 4 yr old son, I'm much less inclined to do so since it would take time away from him. Maybe in 10 years we could tackle a project like this together. (When I'm 60? Yeesh!) For now I suppose I'll just wheel this 4R as much as it will stand it and be happy with what I have.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thanks all for the thoughtful and detailed responses. Truth is, though the idea of getting my hands on an LC is really appealing, the biggest barrier is all the wrenching. Once upon a time in the dim past I did all my own work (25+ yrs ago). Now, at 50, with a 4 yr old son, I'm much less inclined to do so since it would take time away from him. Maybe in 10 years we could tackle a project like this together. (When I'm 60? Yeesh!) For now I suppose I'll just wheel this 4R as much as it will stand it and be happy with what I have.
that's what I would do!! the 4 runner will bring you miles of smiles!!

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Now, at 50, with a 4 yr old son, I'm much less inclined to do so since it would take time away from him. Maybe in 10 years we could tackle a project like this together. (When I'm 60? Yeesh!) For now I suppose I'll just wheel this 4R as much as it will stand it and be happy with what I have.

Don't wait until he's 14 to spark the interest, however. My daughters are both pretty savvy on cars, having grown up watching me wrench and fix my stuff and theirs. My oldest did a 4Runner timing belt at age 14 - I only helped her break loose the hardest bolts. I paid her $40/hr labor, which got her attention to do the job. My youngest now uses checking her oil to cause boys at gas stations to run the other way - it intimidates them. Kids today....

So, even if you never buy an LC, at least teach your kids about basic car maintenance so they are not totally at the mercy of Tire World when they go in for a brake job or an oil change. They can 'help' even at age 4 - holding the lug nuts while you rotate tires, for instance. As time goes on, have them replace wiper blades or a battery - easy stuff.

Just my .02 worth - I'm still wrenching at 56 and plan to for a long time.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just my .02 worth - I'm still wrenching at 56 and plan to for a long time.
I'd happily hand off the spanners but there's no room in the budget to pay someone else to do it! Truth is I like doing it, although the crawling around gets old. I do wish I had a shop and some room.

coax

Hard Core 4+
My experience is very similar to the one above. Main points i'd agree with is that my 80 is very maintenance intensive. Cost is minimized if you buy smart and do your own wrenching. But that wrenching time in some instances (and it varies for me) is a cost. I like to wrench but not at the expense of other activities or havign to wrench in a hurry.

After having a kid, i find myself with not enough time to keep up with the maintenance. And while the 80 is able to be maintained....it does seem like everything needs to be touched at some point. Axles, starter, engine, tranny, etc...always seems like there is something left to do. I have a pending belt replacement, needs new alt, new trailer wiring, kickdown cable adjustment, rear rotor, front axle serice and a bunch of other small bits. Just don't have the time to keep up anymore.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
But that wrenching time in some instances (and it varies for me) is a cost. I like to wrench but not at the expense of other activities or havign to wrench in a hurry.
This is the underlying reason I've ever changed trucks. I don't have the deep pockets for 2+ vehicles so the one I have has to be ready for long road trips and commutes and utility as well as camping and 'wheeling.

Funny story about my old FJ40. It was just too much of a project to be a daily even if it has been more practical on the Interstate. So it had to go for something needing less work and more appropriate to how we use our truck. Kirsten said at the time when Treeroot bought it "He must not be married."

Last edited: