Land Cruiser cost of ownership?

MATPHAT

Lifted
I was at my first meeting last night and I finally realized that Rising Sun is primarily a Land Cruiser club. Yeah, you got use scrubs who tag along in our Tacos and 4Rs and what not (Kidding, I love my 4R), but the LC is where it's at apparently.

So, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I started thinking about what it would take to upgrade to an LC80-100 and could not even begin to figure it out. From the purchase of the vehicle, to baselining it once bought, to doing updates and upgrades for off road capability and quality of life. None of this is stuff I can even start to build a list for.

So, for those of you who have done it (In some cases it sounds like multiple times), what is the costs associated through out the ownership of your vehicle and what could I expect should I embark on the same path? Because I don't know squat about the platform, let's say I use a 1997 80 series as my foundation.

Thanks all for contributing to this new obsession.

Matphat

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
In my opinion there isn't a lot to gain in your situation (you have a newer 4Runner right?) going over to a 100 series. They've gotten so expensive and there is so much maintenance to do to get many of them up to date.

I got a good deal on my '99 a few years ago before the market went crazy, and I can share with you my spreadsheet that I track maintenance/repairs/upgrades in if you'd like some perspective on what I mean. The 170-220k period of ownership on a 100 series has been pricey; adding up to be a lot more than I would have expected. The theory though is that once you are through it you are set up for quite a long time. I also wouldn't get one if you aren't going to do your own work (80 or 100 or any other land cruiser).

There certainly is "something" about the land cruiser that makes me like it more than my previous Toyota. The older cruisers are really where it's at, but the 100 for me was the right blend of analog utility and things like towing capacity/highway comfort/pass-climbing power. I'm still not going anywhere fast, but I also don't feel the need to turbo or swap something else in. It has its own downsides too like IFS, etc.

The 80 seems like the sweet spot for a lot of people, especially if you can swap in a bigger powerplant.

Last edited:

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I've heard others say a cruiser is roughly twice the maintenance cost as the same year 4R. I've never had a 4R but I have sunk more money into my cruisers than I care to think about. It's for sure a truck that you will want to work on yourself if you are budget minded, especially when it comes to the older ones.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
I have a total budget 80. If you get a decent deal on obtaining the truck, do the work yourself, and are patient, you can get away with not spending too much (at least all at once). I've got nothing against 4 runners, just happen to see this gem while I was cruising for a Pajero (pun intended)...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd factor in that even though your 4th gen 4Runner is getting up there in age it's going to be a generation more modern than an 80 series. So as a daily driver you might think about sticking with the 100 series as being more similar feeling.

Which might put more of a strain on the budget to find and build. OTOH 4Runners are also commanding proportionally high prices so everything's relative.

My $0.02 is run what you brung if it's working for you. Everyone says the Cruisers are more burly, which they are. But so what? When your truck lasts 15, 20, maybe 25 years like 4Runners do how much more do you really need?

Plus, members will give you hard time about the 4Runner but take comfort, at least you're not driving a mini truck.

Last edited:

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Love my 5th gen 4Runner. 2.5 lifts, shocks, bumpers and that's it. Been off roading for years with it without any problems. It is in the shop for a 200,000 mile check-up.

krice118

Trail Ready
Land Cruisers are realiable, smooth, durable, badass, but they are not cheap to own.....

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Go 4runner or 200 and possibly GX460. I have a binder that has eight years worth of receipts in it for all of the work I have done to my 80 since I bought it bare bones stock and it's about 9 inches thick. To put it simply I probably could of just bought a new 4runner and tricked it out for what I have put into it plus the amount of wrenching time as well.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Go 4runner or 200 and possibly GX460. I have a binder that has eight years worth of receipts in it for all of the work I have done to my 80 since I bought it bare bones stock and it's about 9 inches thick. To put it simply I probably could of just bought a new 4runner and tricked it out for what I have put into it plus the amount of wrenching time as well.
See, the key is to keep separate binders; then they can all stay thin, even though you have 9 of them...

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’ve owned my 1997 since 2007. Bought it with 81K now at 263K. It’s been and will continue to be a great truck.

But there is no way I’d want to jump into an 80 Series now thinking I’d be maintaining a stock drivetrain. If you could find something pretty clean and straight but with a blown engine then swap a LS that would be the way to go.

Having owned mine for so long, knowing it’s history I did have a 1FZ built in 2019 and have a Wits End turbo on the shelf waiting to be installed. This was pretty much as much as a LS swap.

I guess the short answer is be prepared to drop coin. I’d say similar to building a 5th gen if you have expectations of a nice clean truck. The flip side is you could just find a beater, trim out the wheel wells and run 38’s until you couldn’t bear to look at it anymore.

I’m not a fan of the 100 and would skip it for a 200 if I were looking newer.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Keep what you have and wheel the snot out of it. The cruisers and runners are now worth so much changing platforms will be $$$$. For what we do one of them with them either isn’t that much better than the others IMHO

Last edited:

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
If you were to get into an LC try to find one with a few things done to it like bumpers etc. she good maintenance.
after owning my 80 for about 5yrs now I’m essentially just starting to mod it and doing so frugally...(except for doing the part time conversion right after I bought it.)

maintenance is pricey even doing it yourself..and they really do prefer only oem parts. I’ve wasted more time and money thinking I can get away with saving a few here n there. Nope, no can do.

thankfully I also have a fun little civic to dd/save money on fuel. Two toys are better than just one. Things to keep in mind.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd love to actually see what your totals are.

Rrooslandcuiser

Brand New
First post here. 96 cruiser. I purchased a few years ago before things went nuts. 95,000 original miles in near perfect condition. I paid $18k for it bone stock. That seems cheap now, that being said, it was still a lot of dough. As another member mentioned above, I have a stack of receipts in a folder that is about 3" thick. I have put in hundreds of hours of work to this thing and another 65k. nothing about these is cheap. I love mine, but would probably grab a nice clean 4runner if i had to start over do to the rising cost of everything related to the cruiser and especially the lack of parts or parts being discontinued. This will stay in my family for along time. My boy is 4, so my hope is that he can drive it someday.

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
I wouldn’t buy anything that’s been “modded” too often a weathertech mod adds 1000’s as it’s now overland ready.

80’s and 100’s pricing is reflecting an enthusiast’s market with inflated prices.
That said doesn’t hurt to setup some CarGuru and other type searches for what might come up. Also will give you insight into what the market prices are.
Buy for long term and as others have said do as much work on your own as you can.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd suggest figuring out what you want out of the vehicle and how it can specifically fill that niche. I'd argue that the best vehicle for the job is the one you're most familiar with on trail when the going gets weird.
LC's are expensive and it will always depend on the level of shitbox you're willing to accept, along with the timeline you're willing to absorb the fiscal gut punch. An aggressive baseline will probably double/triple the amount you paid for the vehicle. Add some protection, a lift, and accoutrement, and you've potentially doubled your purchase figure again. Keep in mind, this is all before you duff it into a tree, or send it a little too hard there, bud...
Owning this truck is disgustingly expensive, but I've also chosen to absorb the cost over the course of decades, 100k's of miles, and good memories.

These trucks are tools. Asking Rhetorically: What do you need your tool for? What capabilities do you require from your tool? What shortfalls have you seen in your tool that you need to correct? A 4Runner can be just as capable as an 80/100 in the right hands with the right experience. Build your experience, then build your platform off that experience.
Besides, all the homies have 80's... Show 'em up in a 4Runner.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately. I bought my 1996 FZJ80 in 2004. It was only 8 years old with <100K miles. It was still a newish vehicle. I didn't need to worry about fixing things beyond normal maintenance, so I could put my coins towards sliders, bumpers, a lift, tires, ham radio, drawers, etc. Now it's 25 years old and I'm dealing with ignition circuit issues. Suddenly I have another old car!

As much as I love my 80, if I was buying an off-road vehicle right now, I'd be looking at a GX 460/470, a 4th or 5th gen 4Runner, or an early 200 series Cruiser. Ma-a-aybe a late 100 series, but I'd probably make the jump to a 200.

If you buy an old 40, 55, or a 60, you pretty much expect to do some work to get it reliable, non-rusty, and capable of doing the trails you intend to run. At this point, 80s need to be added to that list too. Don't get me wrong: there are some old Toyotas that I intend to buy and restore in the future, but they will be fun resto projects, not my primary wheeling machines.

Also...

Cost of ownership is a function of your philosophy on baselining and maintenance. There are guys who replace every bolt, washer, and nut, and then there are guys who change the oil every few years and just drive their Cruisers on the trail.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
For a daily driver commuter car, I think that the 08-13 Cruisers are where it is at. I am finding that the perception of Land Cruisers follow Porsches in falling out of style for a little while and then coming back into style. When the 200 was newer, the 100 was looked at as too new to be cool but also too old to have the cool new tech. Now it is 2 generations old and it is back in style. The early 200s are in that situation right now. As such, they are what I would be looking at. I would probably get an LX570 with the hydraulic suspension and then put the aluminum Dissent bumpers and sliders. Something like that will get into plenty of fun wheeling situations and still cruise at 90 MPH across Utah all day long. It will also be quite reliable for many more years.

Pick up something like an 80 and you will need to do a lot of your own work to keep the cost down. Labor rates of $100-180hr will add up very quickly. Land Cruisers were meant to have a 25 year life before parts timed out. The 97 80 will be at 24-25 years old now. That is going to lead to potential issues that will be different than newer Cruisers. They are also quite down on power in relation to newer vehicles. It isn't super slow, but you certainly won't mistake an NA 80 for fast. Couple that with 80 series being all the rage right now and I would expect a relatively high overall cost of ownership for anything that I would consider. Sure there will be the occasional story of someone picking an 80 up for an exceptional price, but that will be few and far in between. I will pick up a restored 80 in the next recession from someone who paid crazy rates to have it done. I will a fraction of what they paid to have it done. Until then I will enjoy my 100 series in the states. I am also looking for a GX470 right now as a fun wheeling car.

Last edited: