labor day camping somewhere?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
kid and dog friendly - I can head up friday afternoon. Be nice to go somewhere with some fishing.

maybe even jenny creek?

Thoughts? Ideas?

We don't want to drive more than 3 hrs to get there, and we would like some challenge to it to keep the subaru's out.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Grizzly lake would do he trick. But, there isn't alot of room at the pristine lake for camping. lus i hear they recently blocked off some of the camping areas. It would be a nice day trip. Tons of medim size brookies there. You could camp up the nearby Pomeroy Lake drainage. I scooped out a sweet spot about 3/4 of the way to Pomeroy lake last summer. I had a large cutthrout go after my fly at Pomeroy Lake, but then got stumped.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I was thinking stream if possible..

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I was going to suggest Grizzly as well but it is a bit out of your time frame to get all the way to the lake. I had to cancel my annual trip this year and was very dissappointed, it is great place to camp.
The stream is not as easy to fish as the lake but doable, there are also several nice beaver ponds.

I asked my brother for recommendations but they are all up near Walden, about 4 hrs out.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
What about between montgomery and wheeler? Any takers?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ttt so who has camped on wheeler?

j

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I'm always checking out potential camp sites. I remember a site or 2 near the bottom of the trail before the first obstacle. This was probably 3-4 years ago. It was very near the trail of course and may be closed off now with all the use and pristine environment. There is that one turn around spot\small spur below the bowling ball hill\switchback. You could potential back in there and setup a tent or something at the end of the road. Again it's right off the trail, but near the river.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I am thinking about going up road 188 by the reservoir to camp, then maybe wheel the trail as a day activity

I took my family in the 60 up to Steamboat last weekend and camped along Seedhouse Road ( 40°45'25.68"N, 106°48'16.00"W to be exact) and were right along the river there, so fish on.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
heading to jenny creek... kids can fish the lake, and i can fish boulder creek

wesintl

RS Moderator
which day john? sat night or sunday or both?