Know anything about automotive painting?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Here's the deal: I have some new "parts" for my FJ40 that are in primer right now. I just purchased a quart of single stage acrylic enamel in the original 1981 Toyota "John Deere" green (681).

I want to spray these parts tomorrow. I'm also planning to pull the entire roll cage out of the vehicle and spray it, too.

I don't have a sprayer, and I've never used one. (I'm pretty good with a rattle can.)

Harbor Frieght has two HVLP spray guns that might be worth considering:

1. HVLP Gravity feed spray gun $40

2. HVLP Central Pneumatic kit $40

Anyone have a recommendation? Is one of these better than the other? Are either of them worth buying?

If you have some tips on painting, let me know! I'm a n00b.

wesintl

RS Moderator

Beater

Hard Core 4+
You can borrow either of mine, if you can get to my house by the time my wife leaves for vail. In my shop, hanging on the wall over the drill press. 2 units, 1 nicer than the other...

her number is three o three 915.6362.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You can borrow either of mine, if you can get to my house by the time my wife leaves for vail. In my shop, hanging on the wall over the drill press. 2 units, 1 nicer than the other...

her number is three o three 915.6362.

Thanks, but I've gotta work today -- I'm under the gun to get a whole bunch of stuff done before Cruise Moab. :blah:

Myredyota

Trail Ready
I'm under the gun to get a whole bunch of stuff done before Cruise Moab. :blah:

Aren't we all!!! I have a really nice gun that I bought several years ago from Sears that has never been used. You can borrow it if you want, I wish I could be the first to use it, but oh well! I will PM my number to you.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I hope to be painting my rockers Sunday. I shoot single stage acrylic urethane MTK omni and MP182 primer/surfacer. Prep first then temperature and humidity second

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
treerootCO said:
Helocat mentioned he had a problem with water so I added four water/oil separators to the compressor.

You got a picture of the four water/oil separators? I just bought one.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Aren't we all!!! I have a really nice gun that I bought several years ago from Sears that has never been used. You can borrow it if you want, I wish I could be the first to use it, but oh well! I will PM my number to you.

Hmmm. I just got back from picking up the paint at Sherwin Williams and a paint gun at Harbor Freight. I bought the first one I listed up above:

HVLP Gravity feed spray gun $40

I think I'll just use this one. Thanks for the kind offer, Carey!

Sorry, I called you Mark before. Your signature line had me confused.

Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
You got a picture of the four water/oil separators? I just bought one.

I don't have one on the PC. I bought the disposable ones for the gun and then one on the air compressor, and then plumbed two together at the end of the first length of hose.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Paint thinner coats than you think you need to or it'll make a drippy runny mess.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
A good paint job is one big run.

If you can match the exact humidity and temperature to the mixing instructions, you should be fine. The seasoned paint guys know how to thin the paint to match the temperature. I just wing it, if it runs or sags, I reduced it too much.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Matt I got great results with the gun you are using... with a pro using it. :D Just kidding, I got some great results using that gun from harbor frieght.

I think the gun is fine for someone wanting to do it themselves... if you put it into the hands of someone who really can lay down paint it will work amamzingly well!

Same story goes for the newbie with a $2000 gun except the final look wont be as nice ;)

Work on getting a good spread (a fan like array) coming out of the gun just using thinner to get the pattern right.

20 bucks at Barnes and Noble will offer a lot of help too, go for the hot rod books, they are more comprehensive, and I want to see some sick flames on the HULK!

Have fun man!

Drew

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Well, I suck at painting. I need to sand out some small runs this week, and then I'll do another coat next weekend.

The green turned out much darker than the rest of the Hulk. I'm going to call Sherwin Williams and see if they can remix the paint to match more closely.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
did you make sure to stir the paint? :D