• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Just looking for some info

DiParagon

New-ish
After many weeks of thought and reading i have decided to take the plunge and go HAM in my setup. My primary reasoning for going HAM over GMRS (which i already got a call sign for) is to insure i can communicate in an emergency when out of cell range so the wife and i are as safe as possible.

Presently i am studying for the exam but today i am installing my radio. For now i know i can only monitor and not transmit but my question for you guys and gals is other than the 4 dedicated simplex channels this club uses, are there any other important channels i should know about and program into the radio or repeaters i should lock in?

If it matters i chose the icom ID-4100a as my platform.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sure are, check out some of this here:

Basically the first two club channels get the most use. Then the colorado connection is extra special for long distances or genuine emergencies.

If you want to do some listening then tune up the colorado connection for at least some hourly announcements... but also plenty of scheduled nets and random traffic. Sometimes you can tune around awhile on the 2m band without hearing much unless you pick an active repeater or such.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
100% on the CCARC maps.

The underlying data can be found here: https://coordination.ccarc.net/cgi-bin/ccarc/fcpub?OPT=LIST

You can copy the whole table, paste it into Excel to format and clean it up (e.g. remove the stations, frequencies and modes you don't want) and export to a CSV to import into your programming software.

Also, it's great to see you pop in Brian!

Last edited: