• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Jump Starting Rising Sun’s 2021 Events/Calendar

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Big thanks to @Stuckinthe80s for putting together the following list. We’re showing it off here to bring back memories and get the planning ball rolling on some new adventures throughout this year.
If you’re interested in leading/organizing any of the below we want to hear from you. We also want to hear what you loved or remember most at past runs, what went less than great or what did @Hulk break on his truck!? What have we missed on our list? What new and somewhat exciting event/run ideas are you kicking around? What’s stopping ya!?

On the books- Jan Snow and Pizza Run

Opportunities comin’ up!
  1. Ham and Eggs
  2. Kingston Peak Cleanup
  3. Jenny Creek Cleanup
  4. Argentine Pass Cleanup
  5. 40's Only Run
  6. Noob's Run
  7. BOWAGW
  8. Ghost Town Run
  9. Rising Sun Rally/Bill Moore Lake Post-rally run
Some other possibilities seemed to have fizzled out are:
  1. Triple Bypass
  2. Ouray Run
  3. Christmas Tree Cutting Patrol
  4. Ladies in 80s
  5. Rot Run
  6. Father's Day Run
  7. Wheel bearing packing party

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I put the BOWAGW Run on the calendar for June 16, 2021. That's 4 days before the longest day of the year. :cool:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Whenever there is no Pandemic and we are able to have a Rally (which should be added to the list) we normally run trails the following Sunday. Historically I have led a Bill Moore Lake run.

And historically I led the annual Father's Day run (Scott and I did the first one in 2000). I led that up Spring Creek for around 15-16 years or so. Spring Creek has gotten so hard that it's really mainly for the big dogs so I'd like to change that to Barbour Fork.

I really miss the wheel bearing packing party. We need to find a shop to host it and of course somebody needs to be in charge. It kind of morphed over the years from just front axle service and maintenance to basically any job that can be done in about a half a day. Historically it was held in April to coincide with getting our rigs ready for Cruise Moab the following month. That probably won't fly this year until we can put the Pandemic in the rear view mirror, but I'd sure like to see a greater emphasis on helping teach people how to wrench.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I really miss the wheel bearing packing party. We need to find a shop to host it and of course somebody needs to be in charge. It kind of morphed over the years from just front axle service and maintenance to basically any job that can be done in about a half a day. Historically it was held in April to coincide with getting our rigs ready for Cruise Moab the following month.
We can do a wheel bearing packing party at our garage in Englewood. Jeff the space is yours to use if you want to run the show! Jackson and I were playing around with feb 13th because we have little goin on in February though March/April would be warmer...

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Ghost Town Run will be the 23rd-25th of July. Will post a thread soon.

:beer: :beer:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
We can do a wheel bearing packing party at our garage in Englewood. Jeff the space is yours to use if you want to run the show! Jackson and I were playing around with feb 13th because we have little goin on in February though March/April would be warmer...

It would be pretty irresponsible to host an indoor gathering while the pandemic is still raging. It really needs to be later in the year, once it's safe to have indoor gatherings again. Given the current pace of the vaccine rollout I doubt it would be practical before around June or July.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey everybody,

We're going to keep all our official club activities compliant where Covid is concerned. I think @DanielChase was pointing out that it gets warmer later in the year because those guys are planning a compliant deal where distancing etc. are accommodated.

It is what it is and I appreciate everybody's patience thus far. I'm grateful for what we HAVE been able to do together despite the limitations but like the rest of you can hardly wait to blow things wide open again.

Thanks,

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I was glad to see the Triple Bypass run make a comeback last year, I like the idea of eating miles and linking trails to get lots out of a 'wheeling weekend. But I didn't make it in '20 so maybe this year.

Same for when we did a Triple Survey run of our 3 adopted trails in 2019 with a camp out in the middle, lots of action in one weekend with a Land Use bend, pretty awesome (and I made that one).

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Whenever there is no Pandemic and we are able to have a Rally (which should be added to the list) we normally run trails the following Sunday. Historically I have led a Bill Moore Lake run.

And historically I led the annual Father's Day run (Scott and I did the first one in 2000). I led that up Spring Creek for around 15-16 years or so. Spring Creek has gotten so hard that it's really mainly for the big dogs so I'd like to change that to Barbour Fork.

I really miss the wheel bearing packing party. We need to find a shop to host it and of course somebody needs to be in charge. It kind of morphed over the years from just front axle service and maintenance to basically any job that can be done in about a half a day. Historically it was held in April to coincide with getting our rigs ready for Cruise Moab the following month. That probably won't fly this year until we can put the Pandemic in the rear view mirror, but I'd sure like to see a greater emphasis on helping teach people how to wrench.
The Rally and the Post Rally Run are both on the list. @Rzeppa it would be awesome to have you lead the Post Rally/Bill Moore Lake Run and the Father's Day run if that is what you are suggesting. Can we go ahead and put you down for the Father's Day run and list you for the Post Rally Run TBD?

Hopefully we are doing a good job of conveying the intent of this thread which is to help drive the action of making sure we have an event scheduled each month. There's no fixed schedule, (well, other than the obvious like a Father's Day run, Spooky night run, etc.) but the idea is if we get enough ideas flowing, we as a club can collectively ensure we have something planned each month as stated in the bylaws. The hope is that we can also revive some of the traditional runs that may have been missed over the last few years and breathe new life into them. (i.e. the TPB run was a lot of fun and I was thrilled to be a part of reviving it)

Thanks @Hulk, @bh4rnnr, and @Rzeppa for stepping up to lead some runs. (Perry, I would think that the train run should also be considered a club event considering the history behind it and all of the good memories so that one could be another month crossed off the list) And for everyone else, if you've never lead a run or maybe have never lead one of the traditional club runs, don't be scared to step up if you're interested. The TBP has a lot of history around it and I had never ran it. I only knew about it through old threads and campfire stories. Although I may have not gotten it 100% right, I think I did it enough justice to keep adding to that tradition. The point is that you shouldn't let your lack of experience prevent you from leading a monthly event. It really just comes down to getting a group of us together and having fun!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'll have Grill-n-Chill Season 2 dates soon! Probably 4 x 3-4 day trips. 1 each for June - September.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I plan to lead another Black Bear/Imogene/Engineer run this year - we had a blast on the run last year, so I'd love to keep that going as an annual event. Snowpack always dictates when when we'll be able to go, but I'd imagine a late-July through September timeframe.

I'm also happy to lead a run up the less-traveled Middle Fork Swan River to Saints John. I've run this route a few times over the last few years, and it's a blast.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The Rally and the Post Rally Run are both on the list. @Rzeppa it would be awesome to have you lead the Post Rally/Bill Moore Lake Run and the Father's Day run if that is what you are suggesting. Can we go ahead and put you down for the Father's Day run and list you for the Post Rally Run TBD?
That was an unambiguous YES to both. I've only done Barbour Fork twice and that was some years ago so I might plan a smaller group recon mission a week or two in advance just to make sure I don't take a wrong turn like I did last time :rolleyes:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
That was an unambiguous YES to both. I've only done Barbour Fork twice and that was some years ago so I might plan a smaller group recon mission a week or two in advance just to make sure I don't take a wrong turn like I did last time :rolleyes:
Wrong turns make it that much more interesting especially if you just act like it was all part of the plan, LOL. I can neither confirm nor deny this happened the first time I lead Cameo Cliffs for CM. @MountainGoat , @DanielChase ,you are not allowed to comment here.