• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Jimmy's Electric Adventures

J1000

Rising Sun Member
The hood fits!

PXL_20211228_220117363.jpg

PXL_20211228_220102660.jpg

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I was able to drive my electric land cruiser onto my trailer which was a big goal of mine so I could move at the end of this year. Mission Accomplished!

Driving up the ramps onto the deck I found out that the electric drivetrain in it's current form is going to pose some problems off-road.

Firstly, I had to use quite a bit of pedal to get going up the ramps from a stop. Once there was some forward motion then there was plenty of power but the initial go was underwhelming.

Secondly, the Resolve-EV controller does not allow any throttle input when the brake is pressed. This is a safety feature to prevent a runaway vehicle, but on the angle of my trailer it was causing problems. I was inching up the trailer ramps slowly like normal but as the vehicle comes to a stop the regen braking disappears and there is nothing to stop the truck from just rolling backwards. The only way I could get going was to hold my parking brake (which doesn't work well) and then just get on the throttle as fast as possible after releasing the brake pedal. This is definitely no good for off-road driving, it could even be dangerous.

I was in high-low (high range t-case, low range Blackbox) so I still have additional gear reduction to use but this was a good experiment.

I'm going to ask Isak as Resolve-EV to see if there is a software update that could address this. Also I could make a simple switch that would disconnect the brake input from the Resolve-EV. It really is only needed to switch from Neutral to Drive or Reverse so I don't foresee a problem with a switch like that.

Also the Resolve-EV controller allows one-pedal driving so it does not creep forward from a stop like the LEAF. It's personal preference and for an onroad vehicle I think I would prefer it, but for off-road driving I definitely want that creep back. I also prefer automatic transmissions to manual transmissions when off-road for the same reason even though I much prefer manual onroad.

Some minor teething issues I'll figure out one way or the other.

PXL_20211229_230242657.jpg

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Is that the front end clicking still?

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Hey Jimmy I recognize that Electrek, Did it come out of Blue Mountain in the way back of Lyons? I know there was one there when I lived back there years ago. Way cool that you're rebuilding these.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Hey Jimmy I recognize that Electrek, Did it come out of Blue Mountain in the way back of Lyons? I know there was one there when I lived back there years ago. Way cool that you're rebuilding these.
Yep that's exactly where I got it from! Bought it from a guy who had what looked like a home made house build out of tires and other junk.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Power brakes! I got the rear brakes rebuilt and adjusted. Took forever to adjust the parking brake which I guess is normal for an 80. Now the parking brake holds strong which is a requirement without any sort of parking prawl or engine compression to help.

I also got my vacuum pump wired and mounted up. It's louder than I expected but not horrible with the hood shut. Also I can hear an air leak from the booster diaphragm so maybe it will be quieter if I fix the leaks. Went for a quick test drive and we have power brakes! Ok now we just have to make it go fast enough to properly bed them in :giggle: I also have a full set of braided steel lines (as in 7 lines) so I will swap those in and bleed the brakes next and do the LSPV delete at the same time.

popV4q1.jpeg

F4KxJj1.jpeg

NN8VkfM.jpeg

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Hit me up if you want a hand swapping break lines or whatever.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Hit me up if you want a hand swapping break lines or whatever.

Can put me on that list too. De-ABS'd as new soft lines last year...

J1000

Rising Sun Member
@On the RX @IoN6 sure thing! I will be working on it tomorrow (Friday) if you want to come by. I am working out of my garage though so inly productive when the sun is out. Supposed to be warm tomorrow. I'm busy this weekend otherwise any day next week feel free to come do brake lines! That would be a huge help! I have everything just need to get it done

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
I am limited to weekend work.

x2 at least until I get the window regulator replaced in the Cruiser and my first machining job wrapped up, which will hopefully be Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Touch base with me towards the end of the week. I have been hyper focused on work during the week.