• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Jimmy's Electric Adventures

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Most everything is now wired into the VCU except for a couple relays for brake and reverse lights and the D, N, R buttons. The engine bay...motor bay now has all of the low voltage circuits wired up! I am getting dangerously close to being able to test the VCU.

Tested the 12v system again as I had chopped out more factory wiring, everything still works as it should.

r5tRpEd.jpg

wiZaWof.jpg

Big thanks @white wings for the Optima Yellow Top. Will put it to good use! I could have used a small motorcycle battery or something but since this is a Land Cruiser it needs a winch, which means it needs a big battery!

Factory 12v wiring extended. Thanks @DomOfTheDead for the help!

Rx3bPaq.jpg

I changed my mind again and decided to put the VCU where the factory ECU is behind the glovebox. This way most of the wire lengths will be shorter and easier to run. The center console was cool but not super functional.

I was able to use the stock ECU brackets with slight modification to hold the VCU nice and tight. I love when things just fall into place like that.

pKOTTl1.jpg

I used a small fuse/relay box to house all of the new EV connections (https://amzn.to/39mlG3k). Circuits include the Inverter and BMS relay, Resolve-EV VCU 12v power, and connections for my electric accessory pumps; vacuum, power steering, and t-case cooler. I have two free relays for big lights or something cool like that.

ebw8uQ5.jpg

G7cpArg.jpg

I used the factory engine harness grommet and passed my new wiring through. Just like factory! Kept the OEM diagnosis box for resetting airbags etc.

ow1ttTs.jpg

XQSwwUq.jpg

Twisted pairs are for the CAN bus.

JIOWHNl.jpg

Just a few wires left to wire up!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
where'd you get those car pushy around thinggies? also nice work on the truck, it's gonna be sweet. I can't wait to see how it works.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I went by the junkyard today and grabbed myself a 12v power steering pump from a Volvo. $50! Should work great for my conversion. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a hydraulic hose shop in town I can get some custom hoses made?

TeeCPlV.jpg

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
I went by the junkyard today and grabbed myself a 12v power steering pump from a Volvo. $50! Should work great for my conversion. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a hydraulic hose shop in town I can get some custom hoses made?

Napa on 120th in Broomfield says they make hoses (have not used them personally though).

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

TeeCPlV.jpg
Motion and flow control products made my hoses for my LS swap

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
Parker hose is also a great option if you have one near you.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Today I dropped my first episode of my EVJ80!

AWESOME!
Where are those scales at? I'd like to know the weight of mine.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I have just driven into pits and ask if I can get it weighed. Never been charged.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Yes, but is it certified ;)

Today I FINALLY received some parts for the Electrek brakes I ordered in January! So now I can finish up the brakes! Yes.

1nsjrVE.jpg

I also ordered a set of Chevy Monza windshield trim pieces. It was told to me that the windshield was a Chevy Monza but I had no cold, hard facts. They are out of production and impossible to find new old stock. Only options are a junkyard or to have new glass manufactured for $1500! I figured $50 on windshield trim was a good call to make sure 100% that it was a Chevy Monza windshield. Welp, it is! The windshield trim is identical and in slightly better condition than mine which is nice.

So now about that $1500 windshield....sheesh.

uN7Amtf.jpg